Feeding frozen cubes

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by SilverMIssy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

So I have frozen brine shrimp cubes and I was wondering how other feed it to their fish. I only have 1 betta so what I've been doing is using a hammer to gently break it into smaller manageable piece and then feed without ever having to defrost. What do others do?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I get a little tank water in a cup and drop the cube in. Once it all dissolves which is usually around 1 minute, I pour it all in back to the tank.

3. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

So you must have a lot of fish to feed, don't you?

4. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

For single small fish, I use a razor or knife and shave some off. Put the remainder in a freezer bag until it's gone.

6. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

That... Is a really good idea. I'm going to start doing that! :p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I think 1 cube is good enough for my 4 guppies, 6 corys, 6 neon tetras and 2 amano shrimp.

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I also thaw some in tank water. If it's brine shrimp or bloodworms, I hand feed some to my ABF and then dump the rest in the tank for everyone else. I can never get away with just one cube for all of my fish though. I usually still feed catfish pellets for my cories, herbivore pellets for my SAEs, and a few flakes. My angels are bigs, and don't always share with everyone else!

Edit: for a single betta, you could break off a small chunk (like you're doing), thaw it in a container with tank water, and pour the water with the brine shrimp into the tank. The only issue with throwing it in without letting it defrost is that your betta could try to swallow a chunk too big for it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Guys, shes only trying to feed a single Betta frozen shrimp...

10. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

That's good advice. I'll make sure I defrost the small shavings to prevent choking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice