Feeding Fish While on Vacation

FishDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI everyone, I am going to Indiana for 5 days and as wondering if I should get those vacation feeding blocks, or just feed them before and hope they live? I was at my cousins for 4 days and when I came back one of my platys had fin rot. It acts fine, but it's fins have tears in them. I don't know if the other platy did this or what. At first the one with fin rot(or whatever it is) was dominate, but now the other platy is bossing the other around. So now the platy with torn fins is in a 1/2 gallon bowl with a little pot floating in the 20 gallon. My mom thinks the fish will be okay, but I'm not sure. I've heard pretty bad things about those feeding blocks, so that's probably out. An automatic feeder is too expensive for me and I would have to buy at least 3 for my 20 gal, 5 gal, 1.5 gal and 1/2 gal(I have feeder guppies in the two smallest tanks). Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
~FishDreamer

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't feed them. Fish can easily go 5 days without eating. I've left mine for 8 days without feeding and they were all fine when I got back. Just do a large water change (at least 50%) right before you leave.

What are the other tank mates in the 20g? How often and how large are your water changes? What are your parameters and can you post a pic?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're gone only 5 days, I'd feed them and do a large water change before you leave and when you return. Feeding blocks and auto feeders can cause ammonia spikes.

I'd put the platy that's in the bowl back into a filtered tank while you're gone. Being in a small, unfiltered bowl for 5 days can kill it.

OP
FishDreamer

FishDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@el337, thanks! I have 2 platys, 3 cories(I have 2 peppered and 1 Julii. I keep trying to get more, but they always die, and they seem very happy with each other), 2 otos, and 11 harlequin rasboras. I do 25% water changes every week, and my latest parameters are:

GH: 0-30
KH: 180-240
pH: 7.5-8.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Temp: 77 degrees Fahrenheit

I think it was just nipping.
@TexasDomer, thanks, I thought feeding blocks were bad..I put the platy back into the tank and he's fine. I'll just keep an eye on him. I don't leave for a month, but I wanted to plan ahead and make sure they'd be ok. I need to clean my tank today anyways, so Ill do another before I leave after this one. In my 5 gal I have 5 neons and a betta. I know it's too small for them, but my friend had a leak in her 10 gallon. I didn't want to put them in the 20 gallon, because it would be overstocked. She gave me two, and I got 3 more for them. My male betta is fine with them, and is happy all the time. I have fake plants, an Anubias Nana, and an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 . I reduced the flow using a water bottle and some foam. I also need to clean it because of the brown algae. I also can't get a 10 gallon, because I already have so many tanks, and my parents won't let me. I also probably wouldn't have enough money. Thanks for the help guys!
~FishDreamer

Oops, I kept says "I also....". Lol whoops. Well guess I should've read over it before I posted.

FallenOwl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IMO you can move the 5 neons to the 20 gallon without overstocking. I would also get about 3 more Otto's for the 20g, they are like schooling fish and need 'buddies'

OP
FishDreamer

FishDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FallenOwl, I think I will move them, and then I can move 7 feeder guppies in with the betta. I'll get more otos, it's just hard to find them because people always get there before me.. I named the otos Oscar and Oswald.

FallenOwl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I get it, just get them asap. Every time I go into my LFS to get a fish they already sold them all
I wouldn't move all 7 in with the betta, may like 4-5
Cute names

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't move any fish into the 5 gal with the betta. That tank isn't large enough to keep other fish with your betta.

Looks like you need to upgrade or rehome some fish.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FishDreamer said:
@el337, thanks! I have 2 platys, 3 cories(I have 2 peppered and 1 Julii. I keep trying to get more, but they always die, and they seem very happy with each other), 2 otos, and 11 harlequin rasboras. I do 25% water changes every week, and my latest parameters are:

GH: 0-30
KH: 180-240
pH: 7.5-8.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Temp: 77 degrees Fahrenheit

I think it was just nipping.
@TexasDomer, thanks, I thought feeding blocks were bad..I put the platy back into the tank and he's fine. I'll just keep an eye on him. I don't leave for a month, but I wanted to plan ahead and make sure they'd be ok. I need to clean my tank today anyways, so Ill do another before I leave after this one. In my 5 gal I have 5 neons and a betta. I know it's too small for them, but my friend had a leak in her 10 gallon. I didn't want to put them in the 20 gallon, because it would be overstocked. She gave me two, and I got 3 more for them. My male betta is fine with them, and is happy all the time. I have fake plants, an Anubias Nana, and an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 . I reduced the flow using a water bottle and some foam. I also need to clean it because of the brown algae. I also can't get a 10 gallon, because I already have so many tanks, and my parents won't let me. I also probably wouldn't have enough money. Thanks for the help guys!
~FishDreamer
You could attach a photo and we can determine if it's fin rot or nipping or both?

If it's fin rot, it could be due to poor water quality. From those test results, it looks like you're using test strips since you're missing the ammonia reading? If so, I would get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit as it's much more accurate and cheaper in the long run.

You do have some stocking issues along with fish requiring different temps than what you keep it at. I agree with TexasDomer that you may need to adjust your stocking if you want to discuss that.

OP
FishDreamer

FishDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@, I'll do both of those things.
@TexasDomer, The feeder guppies are not even 1 inch and only get a max of 1 inch. I'd only be going over 1 inch for the "inch-per-gallon" rule. Plus the betta is so much more active being with other fish than being alone, oddly enough.
@el337, I've tried to get a shot, but he keeps moving so fast!!! It's nearly impossible unless I net him and put him in a small container...No redness or white, just some chunks out of it. I am pretty positive at this point that it is just dominance and nipping. I do use test strips. I tried for a long time to convince my parents to let me get the Master Test Kit, but it's $30 and they said it's too much. I've said that I'd be saving money in the long run, and that it was much better than the API test kit. If you want to drive over here and talk to them, be my guest. But trust me, they are extremely hard to convince. Even if I am paying for everything and doing chores and all. Also, I can't return them, and the only person I know who can take them would be my cousin, but he is already having a platy overload issue, and lives 3 and a half hours away. I want to get at least a ten gallon, but I'd need another filter, heater, gravel, and decorations. It's just too much money and too hard to convince my parents. This is what happens when you are 14 and can't exactly make your own decisions yet. I am trying as best as I can to keep my fish as happy and healthy as possible.

~FishDreamer

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishDreamer said:
@TexasDomer, The feeder guppies are not even 1 inch and only get a max of 1 inch. I'd only be going over 1 inch for the "inch-per-gallon" rule. Plus the betta is so much more active being with other fish than being alone, oddly enough.
@el337, I've tried to get a shot, but he keeps moving so fast!!! It's nearly impossible unless I net him and put him in a small container...No redness or white, just some chunks out of it. I am pretty positive at this point that it is just dominance and nipping. I do use test strips. I tried for a long time to convince my parents to let me get the Master Test Kit, but it's $30 and they said it's too much. I've said that I'd be saving money in the long run, and that it was much better than the API test kit. If you want to drive over here and talk to them, be my guest. But trust me, they are extremely hard to convince. Even if I am paying for everything and doing chores and all. Also, I can't return them, and the only person I know who can take them would be my cousin, but he is already having a platy overload issue, and lives 3 and a half hours away. I want to get at least a ten gallon, but I'd need another filter, heater, gravel, and decorations. It's just too much money and too hard to convince my parents. This is what happens when you are 14 and can't exactly make your own decisions yet. I am trying as best as I can to keep my fish as happy and healthy as possible.

~FishDreamer
The inch per gallon rule is terrible and should be forgotten. Your betta sounds very stressed, and the tank isn't large enough to keep a betta with other fish.

Why can't you return them?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Those test strips if you compare how many tests you get out of them are more expensive! It may appear cheaper upfront but you only get 25 tests out of them. The liquid master test kit is double the price but you get over 800 tests! I've had mine for over a year and I've got plenty left in those bottles to probably last me another year or so! Further, these strips are notoriously inaccurate and if you can't even trust the results then IMO, it's money down the drain.

You really do need the ammonia test bc it's just as important as the other parameters.

Sorry if this was mentioned but is this a 20 high or long? At least rehome the peppered corys and get at least 5 more of the false juliis. They would feel most happy being in a group of their own species. Further, the peppered corys like it much cooler than all your other fish. The otos will also need to be in a proper shoal of at least 6.

OP
FishDreamer

FishDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer, I can't return them because the return time was only a few days and I bought them a long time ago. Actually I found out it's a 5.9 gallon not just a 5 gallon on AqAdvisor. How is he stressed? He makes bubble nests and has his fins spread all the time.
el337, I told them all of this and they still think I wouldn't use all 800! It's not like I'm going to get bored with fishkeeping anytime soon! I had to convince them to let me just get these test strips! I do think it's pretty dumb to leave out ammonia...but it's the best I can get. My tank is a 20 gallon long. I'll try and rehome the peppered but I don't know anyone who could take them that does'nt live 3 hours away. I'll go to my LFS soon to get more otos. Overall, my fish seem perfectly happy. The platys are always active, the otos are always feasting together or playing "tag", and the cories hang out and swim together. Those feeder guppies are always moving! Or eating. Right now my betta is exploring around his rock and nosing around with the feeder guppies. I'll try to do my best to rehome the peppered cories and see if I can get the test kit. Maybe I could upgrade my 5.9 gal to a 10 gal. We'll see.
~FishDreamer

New Threads