Feeding Fish While Away On 2 Week Vacation?

thumos

HI all,

I have two tanks, a 55 and a 29 gallon, both are planted.

In the 55 gallon, my stocking is as follows:
2 angelfish
14 rummy nose tetras
5 yoyo loaches
1 pleco

In the 29 gallon:
6 dwarf cory cats
9 harlequin raspboras
2 electric blue gobys
red cherry shrimp

I only have 1 automatic feeder and am going away on a two week vacation.

Can I leave these tanks with no food?
Should I use the automatic feeder on the 55 gallon so the angels don't eat the tetras?

Should I use it on the 29 gallon instead and buy some feeder shrimp for the larger tank?

Advice is desperately needed as I leave in a week and would rather not come back to dead fish.

Thanks in advance!

vijay3242

Two weeks is too long to be away from fish without food. I would invest in another auto feeder. You could one of those block things for the 29G that are blocks of food and it should last the fish. I would put the feeder on the 55G.

Al913

1 week is definetly okay without food! As for the automatic feeder only put a pinch of food. What kind of automatic feeder do you have? Is it the one with multiple compartments? If it is the one with one compartment it is too risky since people have had it malfunction and dump all the fish food. Especially since you aren't there to witness it. Most people recommend not feeding that much since the more you feed the more ammonia there will be.

Do not get feeder blocks! This is just a ammonia releaser and of the fish don't eat it or don't like it which I think most don't than when you come back you willost likely have dead fish due to ammonia build up.

Before you leave do a 50% water change and vacuum the substrate.

thumos

Al913 said:
1 week is definetly okay without food! As for the automatic feeder only put a pinch of food. What kind of automatic feeder do you have? Is it the one with multiple compartments? If it is the one with one compartment it is too risky since people have had it malfunction and dump all the fish food. Especially since you aren't there to witness it. Most people recommend not feeding that much since the more you feed the more ammonia there will be.

Do not get feeder blocks! This is just a ammonia releaser and of the fish don't eat it or don't like it which I think most don't than when you come back you willost likely have dead fish due to ammonia build up.

I have the eheim auto feeder. It actually never malfunctioned. I will be feeding them their regular pellets. Will probably mix in flakes as well.
My babysitter may be able to show up twice to feed the fish in the 29. That will be helpful.

Al913

Just put less than usual, fish don't actually need to eat a lot! I would only feed once a day!

aangelicaa

Al913 said:

I too was having the same issue. I only had one EheI'm auto feeder and went out to buy 3 more. But having to test them because I do not want to overfeed. My fish won't touch feeder blocks! Too spoiled!
Glad You just mentioned 50% water change- good idea!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom