Feeding Fish (vacation)

KyleJ

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a tank with platys, Tetras and guppies. I am going on vacation for 3 full days and am a bit worried about the fish not being fed. I usually feed once a day. Have you guys had experiences of leaving your fish for a while without food? Will they be ok? Relatively new tank without any live plants.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Previously healthy fish will be okay for at least a week without food, so it should be okay.

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can't you get a neighbour to feed them. I wouldn't leave them without food for a week

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can't you get a neighbour to feed them. I wouldn't leave them without food for a week
OP said it is only 3 days.
The tank will be perfectly fine. If anything its actually a good thing to fast fish every once in a while. I travel for work and anything 5 days and under I don't even ask my wife to do anything with my tanks.

I would feed them followed by a water change the day before you go and everything will be alright!

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe the OP is only gone for 3 days, not a week.
In my experience getting a non-fishkeeper to look after tanks causes more harm than good

Edit: KO beat me to it

KyleJ

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah mollybabes, just 3 days. Thanks everyone makes me feel better about being gone for a few days.

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They also have cheap automatic feeders, I bought mine at walmart. You put in the flakes, regulate how much you want to be dropping, and add fresh battery. I used mine while I was away for 2 days

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leave them alone, no need to feed while your away. I fast my fish for two days a week, think of this as fasting for your fish.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just returned from a vacation - fed my fish and did a 40-50% water change Sunday, left early Monday, returned late Thur night, fed the fish and did a water change on Friday - no problems at all. One other suggestion I'd make is to keep the lights off while you're gone. The fish will be less active. Since they're not eating for a few days, they'll also produce less waste, so your nitrate level will be fine.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree not to bother feeding for those 3 days. I've left my fish for 10 days without feeding and they were all perfectly fine when I got back. Drop the temp a couple of degrees and it slows their metabolism as well.

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to confirm what others said, I've also gone as long as 7 days without feeding the fish (due to trying to cure some problems in their tank). So 3 days would be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom