Feeding Fish (vacation)

1. K

KyleJ New Member Member

I have a tank with platys, Tetras and guppies. I am going on vacation for 3 full days and am a bit worried about the fish not being fed. I usually feed once a day. Have you guys had experiences of leaving your fish for a while without food? Will they be ok? Relatively new tank without any live plants.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Previously healthy fish will be okay for at least a week without food, so it should be okay.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They should be fine :)

4. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Can't you get a neighbour to feed them. I wouldn't leave them without food for a week

5. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

OP said it is only 3 days.
    The tank will be perfectly fine. If anything its actually a good thing to fast fish every once in a while. I travel for work and anything 5 days and under I don't even ask my wife to do anything with my tanks.

I would feed them followed by a water change the day before you go and everything will be alright!

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I believe the OP is only gone for 3 days, not a week.
    In my experience getting a non-fishkeeper to look after tanks causes more harm than good

Edit: KO beat me to it :D

7. OP
    OP
    K

KyleJ New Member Member

Yeah mollybabes, just 3 days. Thanks everyone makes me feel better about being gone for a few days.

8. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

They also have cheap automatic feeders, I bought mine at walmart. You put in the flakes, regulate how much you want to be dropping, and add fresh battery. I used mine while I was away for 2 days

9. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Leave them alone, no need to feed while your away. I fast my fish for two days a week, think of this as fasting for your fish.

10. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I just returned from a vacation - fed my fish and did a 40-50% water change Sunday, left early Monday, returned late Thur night, fed the fish and did a water change on Friday - no problems at all. One other suggestion I'd make is to keep the lights off while you're gone. The fish will be less active. Since they're not eating for a few days, they'll also produce less waste, so your nitrate level will be fine.

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree not to bother feeding for those 3 days. I've left my fish for 10 days without feeding and they were all perfectly fine when I got back. Drop the temp a couple of degrees and it slows their metabolism as well.

12. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Just to confirm what others said, I've also gone as long as 7 days without feeding the fish (due to trying to cure some problems in their tank). So 3 days would be fine.