Feeding fish twice a week

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by cbowlincatfish, Dec 4, 2012.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

I feed my fish twice a week and this on advise from a local pet store, I have 2 very large silver dollars, 2 medium plecos 1, 12" pleco, 7 rainbows, 1 black an white strpied angel fish and a dwarf frog. Am I feeding them often enough.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What are you feeding the African Dwarf Frog? They have a hard time competing with fish. I feed my fish once a day.

3. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Freeze dried shrimp, my angel fish its it also. I have to put in enough for both

4. C

Freeze dried foods are not very healthy for frogs. Do you ever feed frog pellets or frozen foods? African Dwarf Frogs should really be fed every day or every other day.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I feed my fish once a day as well. Maybe i'll put a small pinch in there no some mornings but for the most part just once a day.

7. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks every one. Basically I am starving my fish and need to give my frog live brine shrimp and not freeze dried. Time to change the diet.

8. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Food Types

I have kept a tank for 5-6 years now, I have always feed my fish Omega One Flake Food, Shrimp Pellets, freeze dried Krill, freeze dried bloodworms and now because of the ADF, freeze dried brine Shrimp, and veggie waffers , I am under the impression this might not be good, someone please enlighten me.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

starhanging.gif I have merged two of your threads both dealing with Fish Foods into 1 thread. I think it will be less confusing to other members.

Always pre-soak freeze dried foods prior to feeding them to your fish and critters.

In the link I posted in post #5 above will give you tips to feed the ADF.

Other than possible issues with the ADF (which might should have a tank of its own due to being slower and maybe not getting enough food and the type of food) I do not see any issues with the foods you are feeding to your fish.

I like to recommend a staple pellet, Omega is a good brand along with New Life Spectrum (NLS) and then offer treats a couple of times per week.

Your Silver Dollars will appreciate some fresh Romaine Lettuce. (Romaine has more nutritional value than Ice Berg lettuce) I feed a leaf or 2 of this to my Silver Dollars every morning. I have 8 of them. They devour 2 leaves in less than 40 minutes, with some rib remaining. Too, my Bloody Parrots have learned to rip it apart and munch on some themselves. You should be able to find Veggie Clips at your local/chain pet store. One's I like below:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/julian-sprungs-sea-veggies-clip

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/69731-keeping-romaine-lettuce-fresh.html

The Plecos may well feast on the Lettuce too, however, mine really enjoy a round slice of raw zucchini, stuffed with an Algae Wafer or Vegetable Wafer and Cat Fish Sticks. I push these foods into the zucchini to prevent other fish from stealing it before the Pleco's have a chance to eat. I use plant anchors to weigh the slice so it sinks to the bottom.

The Silver Dollars will also appreciate the green skin of the zucchini.

Thawed frozen peas, sliced in half, remove the skin and cut into smaller pieces the fish can eat are good veggies too. Canned peas may contain salt your fish do not need so frozen peas (thawed) is recommended. Peas can also act as a laxative for fish should a fish become constipated or bloated.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/90859-breakfast.html

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks ken this is very helpful

11. C

Omega one is a good food. Like Ken said above, if you are going to feed freeze dried, soak in some tank water first. The reason for doing this is that freeze dried foods can expand inside the fishes stomach, this can cause injury if your fish over eat.

For the frog: It does not need to eat live food. I feed mine a mixture of frozen (thawed) foods. I like frozen mysis shrimp. You can get it at most pet stores, I get mine in little cubes from petco for about $5. There are also pellets mode specifically for frogs. HBH makes the best pellets for them.

African Dwarf Frogs can be a little bit more work to take care of than a fish. They are lots of fun though. I have 4 that have been very entertaining.

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Silver Dollars are big herbivores, make sure they get their veggies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice