Feeding Fish - How Much and How Often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keagan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, I've been wondering about feeding a lot lately and if I've been feeding my fish the right amount. So when I bought my first few fish for my tank, the guy at the store told me to feed my fish once a day as much as they could eat in 1 minute, but I've read elsewhere online to feed them 2 times a day what they can eat in five minutes. Right now I feed my fish by the first rule and fast them every Saturday. I have a 29 gallon tank with mostly small fish, what's the correct thing to do?

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

newtanksyndrome

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I pour a few pinches worth into the food lid, then dump it in

Sent from iPad app

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly, it depends on the fish and how aggressive of an eater they are. A full minute worth of food would have my rainbows(especially the Madagascars) exploding their stomachs. The stomach is about the size of his eye, so it doesn't take much to fill the stomach. Figure 1 minute for a fish that eats at a moderate pace, less for ones that snatch it as fast as it hits the water, more if they are slow eaters. Though you should feel slow eaters twice a day as to putting food that might sit around.

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feeding time is the best time for an aquarium owner, and most people just blast some food in there and walk away. I love feeding time, and I feed my fish friends slowly with small amounts of food. When all the food I put in is gone, I add a tiny bit more, and repeat until the fish aren't 'actively' feeding.

This can take a few minutes for me, but very little food hits the substrate, and I enjoy the time.

I feed twice daily. Once when I get home from work, and once just before bed. About 5 hours apart.
The second feeding is lighter.

Genobreaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feed mine twice a day. Mainly because couple years ago I fed once a day and my ba tetras didn't take it too kindly. Few days later found one of my red eye tetras dead with nipped fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom