Feeding Fish frozen foods?

Cichlidude

I use one of those round fish feeder with a Sunny Delight top siliconed to it. Then just drill the bottom with holes. Throw the frozen food in and the fish figure it out. Slow dissolve and no mess. Picture shows top reflection.

frozen fish feeder.JPG

A201

Put the chunk of frozen food in a small dip net. Put the net in the tank and let the ice melt away. It only takes about a minute. Then dump out the food.
Some just drop the frozen food chunk in the tank without thawing. I never did it that way.

abarb

I thaw them in another container of tank water. Then feed a few of them at a time with a pipette or syringe because some of my fish will steal all of them before the others get to them.

Feohw

I squeeze the block of bloodworms into a little cup of tank water and stir it around a bit until it begins to come apart. Then I just pour it into the tank. If I'm only feeding my betta tank, then I take it out, cut a little slice off and do the same. If I have too much for the betta I either add the remains to the bigger tank or put the worms back in with the remains of the block of frozen worms in the packet. I know some people just dump the frozen block into the tank.

jjohnwm

I think the ideal method is to place the cube into a glass of water, allow it to thaw, make sure the food has settled to the bottom, and then pour off as much water as possible without losing any food. You can probably eliminate 95% of the liquid "juice" that is released during the thawing process that way. That stuff provides no benefit but I can't help but think that it is a significant added bioload.

In all honesty, I often don't bother with this, just dumping the cube into the tank instead. But if I'm dealing with a newish tank that is perhaps still cycling, or an extremely small tank, or if I am just feeding a little bit here and a little bit there using a baster, then I feel better taking that extra step.

Aqua Fan

I use a pair of tweezers and put the frozen block straight into the water. All the fish come and nibble at while it’s slowly defrosting. I like to think of it as kind of hand feeding, it’s our little bonding session

Hunter1

I drop it into a plastic cup of tank water.

In about 5 minutes, I stir the mix and drop it slowly into the tanks.

How depends on the stocking.

In tanks with corys, I dump a lot at one time so some gets to the bottom.

Without bottom feeders, I do it more slowly.

biancaoo23

I take a some tank water in a separate cup and drop the amount I want to feed into that cup then I leave it alone for a few minutes to thaw. When it’s thawed out I take a pippette and feed them with that

David7654

Can you just take the little frozen block of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms right out of the package and put them right into the fish tank?

AquaticJ

Yes, that's what I do for some of my tanks

MaximumRide14

Yep

Snailerator

Yes sir

!poogs!

Yupper.

Dawn Michele

Yes you can David.

richiep

Not sure about the gourami but the rest of them should I think

David7654

Ok how should I go about putting them in. Do I just drop it in the tank and it’ll sink or do I have to put it on the bottom?

Thunder_o_b

The ones I use sink, I just drop them in.

Cichlidude

Ok how should I go about putting them in. Do I just drop it in the tank and it’ll sink or do I have to put it on the bottom?
Well on the front of the package does it say sinking or floating wafers? Pretty sure they will just sink.

David7654

Ok thanks and will just algae wafers be enough for one feeding or should I also use something like flakes or pellets?

Thunder_o_b

Ok thanks and will just algae wafers be enough for one feeding or should I also use something like flakes or pellets?
I never had a clown plec. The others may eat algae wafers but need regular fish food.

David7654

Yeah I would still use regular fish food but for one feeding is just algae wafers enough and then next time I use regular or r u saying even in just one feeding I should use regular along with the algae wafers

Thunder_o_b

Yeah I would still use regular fish food but for one feeding is just algae wafers enough and then next time I use regular or r u saying even in just one feeding I should use regular along with the algae wafers
only the plec needs the wafers. The others have different nutritional needs.

David7654

Ok thanks

Will one of those tiny little cubes of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms be too much, not enough or just right for the following in a 29 gallon tank:

10 Harlequin Rasboras
3 honey gourami
2 Bolivian ram
1 clown pleco
6 panda corydora

Fanatic

Well, that stocking is larger than my current stocking in a 30 gallon, and my community finishes a full block without an issue.

David7654

Ok and will the clown pleco eat one of those cubes or will I still have to drop in an algae wafer?

Momgoose56

Will one of those tiny little cubes of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms be too much, not enough or just right for the following in a 29 gallon tank:

10 Harlequin Rasboras
3 honey gourami
2 Bolivian ram
1 clown pleco
6 panda corydora
It's enough as a snack. What else do you feed them?

David7654

Just the normal I alternate with pellets, flakes and algae wafers

DuaneV

Your Clown Pleco needs wood and veggies. It might eat some bloodworms, but mine doesn't. Not that I see anyway, although he probably pics up some scraps. But in general, Clowns really want wood and veggies.

You don't really need to be putting algae wafers in you tank, none of your fish need them. You have a lot of meat eaters, so get a good protein based food, like bug bites, as your staple food.

David7654

Yeah there is driftwood

What veggies would you suggest?

DuaneV

Zucchini, squash, peas, cucumber and yams are all great. Might take some time to figure out what yours does and doesn't like.

David7654

Ok thanks

Momgoose56

Just the normal I alternate with pellets, flakes and algae wafers
Okay then, rule of thumb: Feed them what they will eat in 3 minutes. That will tell you if one is enough or if you need to add another 1/2-1 cube. A pleco won't get enough food from a cube because they are mostly bottom feeders. The pleco will need the algae pellet. Your other fish are all Omnivores and need primarily the flake food. I'd only give them bloodworms and brine shrimp a couple times a week.

David7654

Yeah I was planning on doing a cube like once a week. Will pellets be good for the fish like Harlequin Rasboras and gouramis or should I only give them flakes and cube

DuaneV

Actually, Clowns don't really eat algae, so its unnecessary.

Your Rasboras and Gourami need meat. Like I said, a good protein based food like Fluval Bug Bites are a good staple food. On top of that you'll want to feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp regularly.

David7654

Then which of those fish will eat the algae wafers (I just recently cycled this tank so all I have is some panda Corydoras and Harlequin Rasboras so that’s why I’m a bit clueless as to what to feed them)

DuaneV

Most fish are omnivours (the ones you have all are) so all MIGHT pick at the wafers, but its not a staple in their diet, more like an in-between snack. If you drop one in and watch your fish, see if any are actually picking at it. If so, drop in 1 a day. All the fish you have prefer meat and will need a protein based diet, like I said.

David7654

The Rasboras have been eating the flakes and pellets will those be fine as a staple for them if they are eating them

DuaneV

I stopped using flake foods a long time ago, so I can't tell you which are good and which arent. The thing is, a lot of flake foods are junk and don't really give your fish what they need to have a healthy, balanced, diet. I mean, there are people who eat McDonalds every day and theyre alive, but you can't tell me theyre as healthy as someone who never eats fast or processed foods.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views