Feeding fish fresh meat

gypsy32

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but i couldn't find a section on food or feeding

I have a tandanis catfish he used to be in a tank on his own and i used to feed him chopped up beef heart because that is what is recommended but now i have moved him into my 350 litre community tank

I have silver dollars, angels & clown loaches in this tank as well

My question is can i put fresh meat in this tank, i know my tandanis loves it but i am wondering if raw beef heart can be harmful to the other fish

Has anyone fed raw meat to their fish?

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't expect it cause any issues. The fish that enjoy meatier foods will eat it and those that don't will likely ignore it.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feed beef heart to the corys it's too high protein for them, they develop fatty lumps & obesity & it can shorten their lives.
As with most foods I suppose that would depend on how often it is being fed to them. As part of a varied diet or as an occasional treat it shouldn't have any negative effects.

gypsy32

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
EricV thats kind of what i was thinking/hoping because i have this pellet food that i tried to feed them & they took it in their mouths but spat it out again as they didn't like it so i was hoping it would be the same with the meat, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't toxic to the others,

I also have an asian bumblebee i never thought that he might like meat as well kidster9700 is that what you meant by ''the bumblebee'' do you have one of these fish as well?
Coradee isn't it funny corys sound just like us, feed us to much protein & we develop fatty lumps as well..lol

gypsy32

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shusband so you fed them other meat? Were they raw or cooked?
aliray i never knew that, i got mine from the butcher, he said i was the only person in town that bought it, he laughed when i told him what i did with it, he thought i was eating it

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EricV thats kind of what i was thinking/hoping because i have this pellet food that i tried to feed them & they took it in their mouths but spat it out again as they didn't like it so i was hoping it would be the same with the meat, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't toxic to the others,

I also have an asian bumblebee i never thought that he might like meat as well kidster9700 is that what you meant by ''the bumblebee'' do you have one of these fish as well?
Coradee isn't it funny corys sound just like us, feed us to much protein & we develop fatty lumps as well..lol

Yeah, Asian bumblebee are carnivorous. Mine is about 4" long and eats two shrimp pellets whole. I was thinking a small bit of beef might be yummy for him, but I also give my fishies frozen bloodworms once a week so he's probably okay.
Interestingly, my mystery snails love dead shrimp... When I had that infection in my tank and my shrimp were dying I left them in because it only took the snails about two days to eat them. I also found my big snail on a dead Cory this morning (which was very sad)

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have collected mosquito larvae from my rain barrels, dosed them in hot water and fed them to my fish - they love them.

Not quite the red meat you're talking about, but "meat".

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have collected mosquito larvae from my rain barrels, dosed them in hot water and fed them to my fish - they love them.

Not quite the red meat you're talking about, but "meat".
I would be skeptical about feeding mosquito larvae, or any fresh meat for that matter, due to potential parasites...

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dipping them in hot water won't necessarily kill the parasites. Lots of parasites are pretty hardy. How long are you leaving them in the boiling water?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might want to stay away from that then. It's unlikely that the fish would get a nematode, cestode, or trematode from the beef heart (due to host specificity requirements), but a bacterial (maybe viral? I don't know much about those) infection is possible. You might be safest buying the frozen, packaged beef heart from the pet store. Or just feed brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, or fry to the carnivorous fish!

EDIT: No one has brought this up yet, but stay away from wild-caught pond snails. Snails are often intermediate hosts to trematodes, which then infect many species of fish. So don't add snails that you caught outside to your tanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom