10 Gallon Tank Feeding Feather Dusters

JtheFishMan

I am aware that you need phytoplankton or zooplankton to feed Feather Dusters, but how much do I need to put in my tank. My tank is 10 gallons. Also, how often do I have to feed them. If you have any experience of keeping these inverts, I would really appreciate a few tips and tricks for caring for the Feather Duster.

Attachments

• 51482F42-1687-4B0C-A3F5-E3BE448DF7F2.jpeg
    51482F42-1687-4B0C-A3F5-E3BE448DF7F2.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 17
  • 9D6EDE07-D18B-4E45-A217-40F44E1F0F00.jpeg
    9D6EDE07-D18B-4E45-A217-40F44E1F0F00.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 4585C499-C808-4DCF-8551-CBE261749F35.jpeg
    4585C499-C808-4DCF-8551-CBE261749F35.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 59D98E9E-4D76-4202-B9A0-B42A4D6DA23B.jpeg
    59D98E9E-4D76-4202-B9A0-B42A4D6DA23B.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 13

PeteStevers

I don't feed my feather duster at all. I dose the tank with zooplankton and phytoplankton twice a week according to the label (a capful twice a week for my 40 breeder. Every now and then you will see it poop so it is finding something to eat for sure. Just an FYI... they will occasionally drop their feather crown but, within a week or so, you will see it come back small and then grow.

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

I don't feed my feather duster at all. I dose the tank with zooplankton and phytoplankton twice a week according to the label (a capful twice a week for my 40 breeder. Every now and then you will see it poop so it is finding something to eat for sure. Just an FYI... they will occasionally drop their feather crown but, within a week or so, you will see it come back small and then grow.
So, is your tank 40 gallons? If not, how large is it? I’ve heard that the larger your tank is, the longer you can go without dosing your tank with food for the Feather Duster. And yes, I’ve heard they can drop your crown and grow them back within a week.

Upvote 0

PeteStevers

So, is your tank 40 gallons? If not, how large is it? I’ve heard that the larger your tank is, the longer you can go without dosing your tank with food for the Feather Duster. And yes, I’ve heard they can drop your crown and grow them back within a week.
My tank is a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. With the sand and live rock I have, I just call it a volume of 40 gallons.

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

My tank is a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. With the sand and live rock I have, I just call it a volume of 40 gallons.
So do you think I will have to feed my Feather Duster more consistently than you because my tank is smaller than yours? A bigger tank space means more microscopic food for it, correct?

Upvote 0

PeteStevers

I don't really know. I just follow the directions on the bottle (seachem)phytoplankton and zooplankton

[seachem zooplankton and phytoplankton directions -
Add 1 capful (5 mL) per 200 L (50 US gallons) of water twice weekly]

I add a capful of each on Wednesday and again on Sunday. I've tried directly feeding it with mysis shrimp and but, it doesn't seem interested. I keep seeing it poop so, I think it is filtering out what it needs from the water with this schedule. I'd say for you, just dose 2ml per week so as not to overwhelm your system with too many nutrients. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

I don't really know. I just follow the directions on the bottle (seachem)phytoplankton and zooplankton

[seachem zooplankton and phytoplankton directions -
Add 1 capful (5 mL) per 200 L (50 US gallons) of water twice weekly]

I add a capful of each on Wednesday and again on Sunday. I've tried directly feeding it with mysis shrimp and but, it doesn't seem interested. I keep seeing it poop so, I think it is filtering out what it needs from the water with this schedule. I'd say for you, just dose 2ml per week so as not to overwhelm your system with too many nutrients. Just my opinion.
Thanks, I will keep that into consideration. I don’t think I’ve seen it poop yet, but I’ve researched, and seen that they can go long periods of time without eating much, so I’ll probably order some phytoplankton from Bulk Reef Supply. Last question for you, where do you get your zooplankton and phytoplankton from, your local pet store or somewhere online?

Upvote 0

PeteStevers

I get mine (and actually just ordered today) from Amazon

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

I get mine (and actually just ordered today) from Amazon
Ok, thank you so much for help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views