Feeding Fancy Goldfish

1. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Valued Member Member

I just brought home a black moor goldfish. I know that they don't have the best eyesight. He is alone in his own tank. How should I feed him so he can find it? Thanks!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

May I ask, what size is the tank?

If he has poor eyesight, you need to feed him from your hand, and put it close to him so he can see it.
    How large is he? Also, what brand of food are feeding him currently?

3. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

I have 2 fancy gold fish and I accustomed them to a unique way of feeding. So whenever its time to feed them I lightly tap the area where I feed the fish. The. They swim up to the area. Next I drop one pellet at a time in order to avoid any food falling in substrate. If they miss the pellet, and the pellet is just floating on top I place my finger over the pellet as it floats. My finger works as a guide and they usually are able to find it then. Practicing this is really fun cause once they are used to this you can place your finger in the tank and they will come and allow you to pet them :)

4. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

acquire yourself a 2-oz/60mL syringe of some sort. i have a catheter syringe that has a relatively large mouth. i use this to feed my elephant noses, angels and jack dempseys. they now recognize me as the food god and get excited upon seeing the syringe. i hold the tip to their mouth and they take to it wonderfully as i push food out slowly.

5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

On my device it appeared as "Feeding Fancy Goldfish Coleslaw"

IME they will have no trouble finding food even blind.

I have a few moors and they are pigs I don't do anything special. Also I have a blind ryukin and he eats freely from the surface

6. OP
    OP
    Coleslaw

Right now he is about 1.5 inches in a 29 gallon. I'm feeding tetra goldfish flakes and aqueon tropical pellets. I know those are not designed for goldfish but it's the same just 2% more protein. I've had him for 24 hours and still has not eaten in front of me. He seems very skittish. Is this normal?

7. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Is the aquarium cycled and otherwise good condition? (Temperature, water quality etc)

If your aquarium is cycled and in preferable condition for him then it's pretty normal for them when they're young and being transported/removed from their school. He also might be conditioned to a certain food.

If you don't see him eat in the next several hours there could be another issue.

8. OP
    OP
    Coleslaw

I believe the tank is cycled. I used cycled media and added BB supplement. Haven't tested it yet thought.

9. Tiny_Tanganyikans

I would test the water asap to be sure. Instead of feeding big bunches once or twicr a day just add a very tiny tiny pinch of flake every few hours. If he shows no interest by tomorrow there's probably another issue. Their eyesight will not prevent them from eating.

10. OP
    OP
    Coleslaw

I have tested the water in the past. The ph is 7.4. Then 0,0,0. I always add stress coat to remove chlorine.