Feeding Dilema

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Reema, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

So I have a betta and a school of micro pellets eating fish. They are getting along marvelously BUT...the school fish are a scaredy little bunch and as soon I open the tank lid to feed them they go and hide. In the mean time the betta is gobbling up their food. He's got no problem even chasing the pellets down as they start to sink.
    I'm worried that betta pigs out and the school stays underfed.
    The school stays only at mid level and gather together at bottom when they hide. Never come topside.
    What to do ?
    I've seen the betta even spitting up pellets.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

What sort of fish are they?

You may want to consider switching to live food. It scatters and the fish hunt it down. Brine shrimp are easy to hatch, and microworms and their various cousins are less trouble to keep than you might think.

3. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Cardinal tetras. I'm a novice. Wouldn't even know where to begin on how to manage live food.

4. maggie thecat

You could also try distracting the betta with something other than pellets, so the Cardinals' food as a chance to sink to their level.

If you feed a rotating mix of food types, everyone will eat on a regular basis.

5. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Problem is that I can't even stand close to the tank much less distract the betta. The school scare easily. Tried the distraction part. They went into hiding and all pellets are resting in the bottom now.
    Tried feeding them flakes. They were not interested.

6. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

This is the only issue I have with a betta in a community tank. Bettas seem smarter than other fish, and generally "hunt" for food better. Every time I have a betta in a community tank, it figures out how to "scrounge" for food, and will find every little last uneaten piece it can, and turns into a huge hog. I havent figured out a way to stop it, so good luck to you! lol

7. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

LOL

8. maggie thecat

What size tank is this?

9. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

10 gal

10. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuyValued MemberMember

Are they new in the tank? could take a few days for them to settle.
    You can feed on both sides of the tank, when they see the little food pieces sink near them they should be interested.

11. Adriifu

AdriifuWell Known MemberMember

Can we get a picture of the set-up? Are they new to the tank? I'm assuming your parameters are fine and that has nothing to do with this, so I won't ask.

12. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

20180614_153046.jpg
    Yes water parameters ideal all around.
    I had the school since 5 days now.

13. Adriifu

And did you just recently add the tetras? How many are there? Set-up looks great.

14. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Thank you. 8 tiny cardinals.

15. maggie thecat

My suggestion, and I realize this isn't what you probably want to hear, is to rehome the cardinals to a tank of 20 gallons or more, and leave the betta to his solitary kingdom.

Cardinals are ill suited to long term life in such a small tank. And the likelihood of the betta growing territorial and slaughtering everone some day in the future, is statistically great.

16. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

I thought about it. I will eventually return the cardinals. I can't get another tank much less a bigger one. No space.

17. Adriifu

I agree with @maggie thecat . Cardinal tetras in general are very active and do require at least a 20-gallon tank. I would return them or provide the proper environment. Your betta would do much better with harlequin rasboras. In the meantime, try using Seachem Garlic Guard. It may entice the tetras to eat. You still haven't answered this question; did you just recently add them to the tank? New fish may not eat for a few days due to stress.

18. maggie thecat

Solid plan. Most pet stores have a return window. If you bring them back during it you may get cash instead of store credit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice