Feeding Daphnia Question 

  • Thread starter

Heather M

Well Known Member
Messages
794
Reaction score
10
Points
113
Experience
4 years
I was just wondering if anyone here feeds daphnia to their bettas. I thought about raising them to supplement Nelson's food with something live. Finding them wouldn't be a problem because I know a science teacher who would, I'm sure, give me some. How many do you feed at one time? How do you ensure that they have the highest possible nutritional value? Anything else you could tell me about raising them for bettas would be great. Thanks!
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,860
Reaction score
120
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
Never fed them alive but they are frequently fed for constipation.
Carol
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,691
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
I have frozen daphnia that I feed sometimes. I don't think it would be a problem, but again, never fed them alive.
 
  • Thread starter

Heather M

Well Known Member
Messages
794
Reaction score
10
Points
113
Experience
4 years
Tigerfishy said:
I have frozen daphnia that I feed sometimes. I don't think it would be a problem, but again, never fed them alive.
Why shouldn't you feed them alive?
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,271
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
They are readily available frozen or freeze-dried. I have read, though, that raising your own is a lot like raising brine shrimp. I am trying to remember the source for you.
 

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Messages
3,691
Reaction score
30
Points
143
Experience
3 years
I've never fed them alive, that's what I said, I think you read it as "never FEED them alive". It was "Never FED them alive" lol!

I know a girl feeds her bettas mosquitoes sometimes, but she does kill them first obviously when they bite her haha!

Sorry.
 

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Messages
2,402
Reaction score
47
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
Many breeders raise their own Daphnia. It is more of a complicated mess than brine shrimp, but fresh live Daphia would be the healthiest. I can't find frozen, but don't want to mess with raising them....so I just don't use any.
 

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Messages
682
Reaction score
28
Points
123
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed Daphnia every week to my bettas, however I use Hikari freeze dried so I can't really speak to live Daphnia. I generally feed a small pinch to each betta and that is sufficient to fill them up (judging by their belly distention after eating) as well as clear them out (judging by the XXL poos I get to remove the next day).
 
  • Thread starter

Heather M

Well Known Member
Messages
794
Reaction score
10
Points
113
Experience
4 years
Tigerfishy said:
I've never fed them alive, that's what I said, I think you read it as "never FEED them alive". It was "Never FED them alive" lol!

I know a girl feeds her bettas mosquitoes sometimes, but she does kill them first obviously when they bite her haha!

Sorry.
:-[ oops! Blond moment!
 

funkman262

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
20
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Why don't you look into grindal worms? I ordered a culture a couple weeks ago and it finally grew large enough for me to start feeding them to my tropical fish. All of the fish love it. They're small enough for my platy fry to eat but still large enough for the larger fish to enjoy. I think the largest they grow is about 1/2". They've been rather easy to grow so far. I've also been experimenting with different culture mediums and I just started one using polyester fiber so there's even less mess involved.
 
  • Thread starter

Heather M

Well Known Member
Messages
794
Reaction score
10
Points
113
Experience
4 years
funkman262 said:
Why don't you look into grindal worms? I ordered a culture a couple weeks ago and it finally grew large enough for me to start feeding them to my tropical fish. All of the fish love it. They're small enough for my platy fry to eat but still large enough for the larger fish to enjoy. I think the largest they grow is about 1/2". They've been rather easy to grow so far. I've also been experimenting with different culture mediums and I just started one using polyester fiber so there's even less mess involved.
Honestly, I can't stand worms, or outside of the garden, anyway. They disgust me for some weird reason. Actually, I am terrified of most types of worms other than earthworms. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I could raise worms. Too gross.
 

funkman262

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
20
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Heather M said:
Honestly, I can't stand worms, or outside of the garden, anyway. They disgust me for some weird reason. Actually, I am terrified of most types of worms other than earthworms. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I could raise worms. Too gross.
lol I live in an apartment with my girlfriend and I ordered the worms without asking her first and when I eventually told her she yelled at me about how scared she is of worms (whoops). But she's gotten used to the idea of me having them, especially after she saw how happy the worms make the fish



I did a quick search on growing daphnia and they sure look like a pain to raise...hopefully someone here has some experience with that and can help you out.
 
  • Thread starter

Heather M

Well Known Member
Messages
794
Reaction score
10
Points
113
Experience
4 years
funkman262 said:
lol I live in an apartment with my girlfriend and I ordered the worms without asking her first and when I eventually told her she yelled at me about how scared she is of worms (whoops). But she's gotten used to the idea of me having them, especially after she saw how happy the worms make the fish



I did a quick search on growing daphnia and they sure look like a pain to raise...hopefully someone here has some experience with that and can help you out.
I'm not completely set on raising daphnia. I just thought it would be nice to give Nelson some live food. I suppose maybe I could get over my fear enough to raise worms, but that is a HUGE maybe. I'm not as terrified as I once was, but I'm still majorly grossed out by them, especially the ones that (sorry if this is gross) look like parasites a dog would get.
 

funkman262

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
20
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Try a new thread about live food suggestions for bettas. There are a LOT of betta owners here. I'm sure there are several other options for you
 

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,845
Reaction score
73
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck trying to raise Daphnia....I know a lot of Betta breeders who have tried and failed....I have not personally tried it........I have offered frozen to my babies and they turn their nose up at it like it is a turnup or something just aweful lol.......

Hatching BBS is an alternative....My adults love it! I hatch every other day for my fry and my older ones get the left overs...
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom