Feeding Daphnia To Fry

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Goldiemom, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I read that after a few weeks on baby brine shrimp you should start feeding daphnia to your fry. Has anyone done this? Where can you get it? Has anyone tried the Hikari frozen daphnia and do any pet chains sell it so I don't have to pay overnight shipping? Ideas???

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Daphnia is a bit bigger than brine shrimp and is a better food for fish fry. However, brine shrimp aren't the best either due to the salt in them. Look at micro worms which are much easier to cultivate and i think they are smaller. Daphina can either be purchased on line like aquabid which is a good source. others collect some pond water which usually contain some daphina. They grow fast if you provide them with enough nutrients. Frozen daphina is a bit messy but fish do like it.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got some Hikari frozen daphnia and the fish like it well enough. For the most part they are as big as the smallest brine shrimp you get in frozen blocks. I fed both brine shrimp and daphnia to my betta fry and both were accepted.

Highly recommend getting a micro worm culture going, they make great first foods for all fry and they last forever if cared for properly. Only problem is they don't work all that well for larger fry, just the youngest ones.

4. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Thanks, Demeter. The worms give me the squiggly's. I shudder just looking at pics of them. lol Did you have to order your Hikari frozen Daphnia or did you find it at a lfs?

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

My petsmart carries Daphnia and so do my lfs. I bet if yours doesn't, you could ask them to order it for you.

As for feeding them to fry, depending on the fry it might be still a bit big for them. But in either case, they should not be fed daily anyway.
    Have you tried the hikari first bites? Its powdered and easy to use ( dip an end of a bbq skewer in tank water then dip in the food )

Or if you are like me, I use a fish-only pepper grinder ( can get at a dollar store ) to grind up my own food ( like the NLS )

This is what we use:

20180413_132225.jpg

6. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm lucky to have a locally owned pet store that has a freezer full of fish food (and the occasional rodent).

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

When I was raising Danio fry I started them on microworms. At about 3 or 4 weeks old I fed them a mixture of shrimp pellets, flakes, tetramin crisps, freeze dried shrimp, freeze dried blood and tubifex worms all crushed into a fine powder and then ran through a fine screen to get the biggest pieces out. I then mixed in a capsule of Blue Green algae. I fed them this mixture until they were big enough for regular food. They grew like weeds on this mixture.

Fry food would be easier but I just had to do it once since I made enough to last them until they were big enough to eat regular food.

8. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I am already using the First Bites and they are doing well on them. Tonight I should have my first load of baby brines shrimp hatched and will also start feeding them. I plan to feed shrimp in A.M. and FB in P.M. That way the shrimp will last a few hours while I go to work. I am just looking ahead at what I need to feed them after 3 or 4 weeks. I have New Life Spectrum micro pellets that they may be able to eat by then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice