Feeding crayfish feeder fish?

• Thread starter Ghelfaire
  • Start date

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Well its happened, I just noticed that 2 of my cardinal tetras have dissapeared. I thought they would be too fast for the crayfish to get but i guess not. I mean they swim the same speed and stay near the top like my black neons (who are all still there).

Would adding a few feeder guppies to the tank prevent her from eating the cardinals? The store I would buy them from treats all feeders for parasites before selling.

Crimson_687

Well Known
If you mean lower the chances, yes it would. When there’s more fish, the chances of your cray grabbing a tetra vs. a feeder is less. However, your cray is not going to prefer one fish over the other. He’s probably doing this at night when the fish sleep. Although tetras can sleep in the mid-level, they’ll sleep in the lower or lower-mid levels as well. They also scour the bottom of the tank for leftover food bits. Remember, although they are mostly mid-top level dwellers, that doesn’t mean they don’t swim all over the tank. Any sleeping fish is fair game for a cray, and they are predatory by nature. If you want to take the risk, that’s your choice, but ideally Crays should not be kept with fish.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Well I figure feeder guppies still have bigger tails making them slower and easier to catch.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Ghelfaire said:
Well I figure feeder guppies still have bigger tails making them slower and easier to catch.
They would be, but any fish that’s sleeping is a sitting duck for the cray

Ghelfaire

Well Known
She runs around all day, I thought she sleeps at night but I don't have a 24/7 camera on the tank so who knows.
It could be that those fish were sick too.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Ghelfaire said:
She runs around all day, I thought she sleeps at night but I don't have a 24/7 camera on the tank so who knows.
It could be that those fish were sick too.
It’s possible, but I doubt it. Both sick and healthy fish sleep. When sleeping, though they remain somewhat aware, they are still very vulnerable. Could be part of the reason why their color fades at night. Also crayfish are nocturnal. She might nap at some time, but she’s going to be up.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Feeder fish 90% of the time carry disease so unless you're gonna quarantine the feeders and de worm them and treat them I wouldn't risk it.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
I've decided that it'll be safer to rehome her. I hate to do it but I don't have another tank or room for another tank. It's a shame she's been real fun to watch but I cant risk the rest of the school.

Top Bottom