Feeding Corys and potentially odd behavior??

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Lunammortem, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Lunammortem

Lunammortem New Member Member

So I just got 2 Corys (I plan on getting more) and I bought algae pellets for them to eat, as instructed by the lady at petco. However I don't really see them eating it. I put a full pellet it (I have the thin ones since they're very small) and they went up to it and messed with it, but it doesn't seem like they are it. So I tried crushing it up for them and they still just swim right around it. Of course, my ghost shrimp love it, but they can't eat the whole thing and I don't like having bits of algae pellets sitting in my tank if no one is really eating them. Am I doing something wrong??
    Also my catfish will swim around and they're so adorable, but sometimes they just plop down and look dead. When I first saw it I thought they had both died, only to find out they were taking a cat nap. Is this normal behavior or could something be wrong with my fish?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Unfortunately you were misinformed on what to feed the corys, they aren't algae eaters & although they will eat the wafers if there's nothing else on offer they get little nutrition from them.
    They need a good catfish pellet as a staple & frozen or live food such as bloodworm, brine shrimp etc.
    Can you better describe their behaviour or even better get a short video of them doing it & more information on your tank, water stats, size, tankmates etc?

3. OP
    OP
    Lunammortem

Well they swim around and do their normal stuff and then they just plop down and stop moving. It mostly seems like a nap, honestly, and they look dead. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438181024.576967.jpg

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is that a red tail shark in with the cories? What size tank? They require at least a 50 gal tank minimum.

5. OP
    OP
    Lunammortem

It's a rainbow shark
    Yes I've only just learned this information. I was extremely misinformed by the people at petco and pet smart yesterday and I plan on returning the sharks or giving them to a friend with a bigger tank.

It's a 10 gallon
    The lady said 2 would be perfect for the 10 gallon, which clearly is not true.

Here are some videos of what they normally do and when they're 'asleep'

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That looks like normal cory behaviour to me, they can spend a lot of time just resting

7. OP
    OP
    Lunammortem

Okay, I just wasn't sure. Thanks!

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Agreed, there seems to be different behavior between individuals. Some patrol all day, while other chill a bit more often.

9. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

Seems normal to me too. They are shifters, so even when the pellets are sitting in front of them they will just go around looking for the small pieces, but they will need special pellets for bottom dwellers.

As for the naps.... Mine do that in the morning, all 8 of them, until they see movement in the room or lights and think they are getting fed:)

10. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Ive never fed mine pellets, but you could try that. Ive just kept them with sloppy eaters, :)

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

To me they are two far to thin Trilineatus at non suitable gravel. I call this "algaewafer-syndrom" lacking the right nutrition for some time (shame on the LFS). Follow Coradee 's feeding-advice and get some other substrate. Rehome the redtail !!!

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you upgrading from the 10g? That size won't be enough for cories either.....unfortunately.

13. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep I told the OP that 10g is too small for cories in another tank already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice