Feeding Corydoras?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by JakeM2004, Apr 16, 2017.

1. JakeM2004

JakeM2004 New Member Member

Hello,
    I have some small emerald Corydora catfish who are each about .75 to 1 inches long. I was wondering how many sinking shrimp pellets I should put in for each one, and how often.
    Thanks!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

How many cories? And what's the tank size? All that would be helpful to determine it. Even the other fish in the tank, if you could.

3. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

I currently have 4 Corydoras, and am hoping to up it to 6 shortly. I have a 20 Gallon tank, and don't have any other fish or inverts in it currently.

4. MattS99

One should be fine. Is it a 20 long or 20 tall? My main tank is a 20 long, so I'm fascinated by other people's 20's. Always looking for new stocking ideas.

5. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

I have a 20 gallon long. Thank you so much for the advice!

6. MattS99

No problem! Thinking of adding anything else to the tank at this point?

7. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

Maybe a small centerpiece fish, like a honey gourami, and some shrimp.

8. MattS99

Cories will eat shrimp, so if you wanted to keep them alive I wouldn't recommend it. I had a pair of honeys in my 20 and they were amazing. Best friends. I'd recommend them to anyone. Why don't you get some kind of school going in there? It'd probably look nice and you have more than enough space.

9. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

Ok. Thanks MattS99. Would Bloodfin tetras be good? I have always liked the look of them.

10. MattS99

I've never kept them myself, but I would assume you could. As they are a smaller tetra, watch out for fin nipping. But it should calm down in a bigger school. 5 is the minimum, but I'd recommend anywhere from 7-10.

11. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

Ok. Thank you again for all of this help.

12. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

6 is the minimum for any schooling or shoaling fish :)

As far as feeding I suggest you feed them 2 pellets. When they get to 1.5" you want to feed at least 1 pellet per 2 corys. When you have other fish you probably want to add more. I have a 40 breeder with 6 cories(upping it to 8-10) and I feed 5 pellets since I have 2 male guppies, lambchop rasboras, RCS and snails that love to take bites from the pellets.

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

That's not correct Matt.
    Keeping shrimp in all my Corytank.
    Throught the years I have never seen a Cory grab a shrimp. In my opinion they aren't "equipped" for that.
    Think the tetras are a bigger risk.

14. OP
    OP
    JakeM2004

Thanks DoubleDutch and AI913.

15. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I agree. I have cories with shrimp and have had no problems at all. Everything I have read says that cories are fine with shrimp.

16. Al913

Yeah, I was gonna say something but I think he might have meant gouramis since the next sentence he goes straight into talking about gouramis :), but good thing to bring up just to clear the air!

17. DoubleDutch

They only will attack and kill shrimppellets hahaha

18. Al913

LOL, sometimes I find a shrimp catching a ride on a cories head!

19. DoubleDutch

My venezuelans-pack is always in ambush, predators as they are. [​IMG]

20. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

But he actually says, "Cories will eat shrimp" ;)
    I also have honey gouramis and they don't bother my shrimp at all. I can't speak for larger gouramis though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice