Feeding Corydoras. What food, how much and how often?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Mark321, Jul 24, 2015.

1. M

Mark321 New Member Member

Hello everyone.
    I'm not new to fishkeeping, but I am new to (potentially) keeping Corydoras.
    I shied away from Corys in the past due to living in London and it's hard as rock water, I now live in the NW with soft water, slightly acidic, so can finally look after some Corys.
    Currently, I'm five weeks into a fishless cycle on a 200L set-up. Everything is going dandy. Thoughts are now obviously geared towards stocking and how to look after my new wet mates.
    So, regarding Corys. I'm in love with these guys, can't wait to look after some.
    Once cycling is complete (I've cycled tanks before, I'm OK with it) I intend my initial stock to be 6 Bronze Corys. Slowly increasing their number to 12.
    In preparation, I've bought some Tetra Tabimin Shrimp tablets, Tetra variety wafers & frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp.

Is that a suitable 'base' of foodstuffs for Corys?
    If, for example I was to use the Tabimin shrimp tablets as their main staple, how many should I feed a day (for 6 Corys) and should I feed once a day?
    Is there another foodstuff I should get? I'm a firm believer in food variety being the key for all fish, so, am I missing anything obvious?

Many thanks.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Your foods sound good to me, I use the Tabimin twice a week, new era catfish pellets about the same & the other days they get a variety of frozen & live food, they also get anything the other fish miss.
    1-1 1/2 tabs should be enough for 6, when you up the number of corys then 2-3, I tend to feed by eye, if they're looking a bit too chunky I cut back.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum. Coradee knows her stuff - I can't improve on her comments.

I have peppered cories in a community tank and I feed crushed shrimp pellets and flakes to the tank every day, fasting the fish for a day every two weeks or so. My cories and other fish are active and look fine.

If I feel the cories aren't getting enough I'll feed the shrimp after dark.

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I've been feeding omega one tablets to my cories. Maybe that's a problem because I just drop them in. I notice they are pretty big and the fish can't eat them right away. So should I be breaking them up?

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mark321 New Member Member

Thanks very much for the super speedy replies!
    I'll add New Era Pellets to the next bout of online shopping and I think I'll be good to go.

6. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I crush the shrimp pellets as the cories are sifters AND if I keep them whole my Gold Barbs and Serpae Tetra eat most of them in one gulp.

7. P

Paul1976 New Member Member

Good choice with the corys! I have 6 albino's and they're very entertaining fish to own! :)

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I just picked up 3 albino from petco the other day. Very small and very young. I told them to just give me what they had because I could only see one. He found 3. One died a day after I brought them home but wasn't surprised. As soon as I put him in the tank he wasn't as active as the others. But the other two are constantly zipping around the tank. Will be getting 3 or 4 more this weekend hopefully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice