Feeding Cories

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by FeederGuppies, Jul 27, 2019.

1. FeederGuppies

FeederGuppiesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    I was given a 10 gallon with three albino cories. I've been feeding them three shrimp pellets a day. Is that too much? Or too little?

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,099
    Experience:
    3 years
    I would definitely look into feeding them a more varied diet, they need much more than just one type of protein, some cories will eat plant-based foods, like mine whenever I put blanched veggies in for the pleco.

I know that these cories were recently handed to you, but they need to be in shoals of at least six, they group together, usually sticking to the same species in a single group. I have a mixture of bronze and albino, but both cory species are aeneus which means they are compatible with each other, but that doesn't mean they will always stick together necessarily. If there aren't any other fish in the tank, you can feed them the pellets whole, sometimes other fish will steal most of the food before the cories can detect and eat it, which is when crushing the pellets would be required to help spread the quantities around.

My cories get omega one shrimp pellets crushed into a dust, they will also eat the veggie wafers meant for the pleco, and I also supplement their diet with some bloodworms, and brine shrimp. You can also give them daphnia, and tubifex worms, but a lot of individuals may not be able to source that easily, like myself.

3. hazzaeighteen

hazzaeighteenNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello! Yes feed them more! Cory’s are little scavengers and are the little tank cleaners in mine. They’ll eat anything from sinking algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and fish flakes. They’re constantly on the move for food and one pellet each is not enough. Most likely one is eating everyone else’s food. They need variety in their diet!

4. Whitethorn

WhitethornValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'd say, in addition to the pellets every day, blanch a slice of zucchini and pin it to the bottom of the tank for around 6-12 hours (12 is a bit much but it sometimes takes a while for them to realize it's food) every 3 days or so. Given that you change the water and siphon the gravel every week they should be fine!

5. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    Thank you to everyone that replied!
    I will make sure to get some algae wafers and feed them vegetables. Do they like peas? I feed my guppies peas and they go crazy for them.
    @Fanatic the only other fish in that tank is a betta. I was thinking of adding more cories, but I'm afraid it might overstock the tank?
    @hazzaeighteen how many pellets should I give them? They seem to take a little while to eat them.

6. Fanatic

Ratings:
    +6,099
    Experience:
    3 years
    How many gallons is the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    It's a 10 gallon. I also have a 20 gallon, but it's full of guppies. My 29 gallon is being treated for internal parasites, and I think the gravel is too big in there for cories. My other 10 gallon is a shrimp tank.

8. Fanatic

Ratings:
    +6,099
    Experience:
    3 years
    I see that in the original post, sorry for missing that part before. I definitely would not continue keeping cories in a ten gallon, especially when you need to increase their group, and in this case a ten gallon doesn't have enough space for them, so a 20 gallon would be the minimum.

9. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    Once my 29 gallon is parasite-free I'll move them. For now, how many pellets do I feed them per day?

10. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
  11. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    Anyone?

12. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +716
    Does the betta go for their pellets?

13. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +153
    Experience:
    5 years
    I don't think so. I just recently added him. They are bigger than the pellets I feed him, so the betta usually goes for the smaller food.