Feeding Cories

Fishing1

I have 6 cories and I'm feeding them 2 sinking wafers a day along with what flake food falls to the bottom. The wafers are really small so not sure if that's enough. Certainly don't want to over feed them. Thanks in advance

AllieSten

Are they algae waters? Because you need to be using sinking shrimp pellets instead.

What you could do is add another wafer, and if they don’t eat it after 15min, remove it from the tank. Then you will know if it is too much food.

Fishing1

AllieSten

It just isn’t the proper diet for corydoras. They need more protein. I recommend apI bottom feeder premium shrimp pellets. The are pretty great, with low residual leftovers. Any sinking shrimp pellets will work though.

Fishing1

AllieSten said:
It just isn’t the proper diet for corydoras. They need more protein. I recommend apI bottom feeder premium shrimp pellets. The are pretty great, with low residual leftovers. Any sinking shrimp pellets will work though.
Ok. I'll buy some no biggie. Thanks

Sarah73

I stop the filter so all of the cories can get the food without it flying away. I feed them spirulina (fish flakes), shrimp pellets, earthworms, brine shrimp, etc.

Fishing1

Sarah73 said:
I stop the filter so all of the cories can get the food without it flying away. I feed them spirulina (fish flakes), shrimp pellets, earthworms, brine shrimp, etc.
Aww they look great. I forgot I do give the fish blood worms once a week but the catfish don't seems super enthused about them. Honestly none of the fish are crazy about blood worms which I find odd but.....

Sarah73

Fishing1 said:
Aww they look great. I forgot I do give the fish blood worms once a week but the catfish don't seems super enthused about them. Honestly none of the fish are crazy about blood worms which I find odd but.....
Lol that is weird. Blood worms are a lot of fishies favorite food! Of course they are fatty, so your lucky they don't like them haha. I haven't given mine blood worms in a long time unless I'm breeding them. And thanks! I'm the girl with 40 cories in a 60 gallon tank hahahaha.

Fishing1

Sarah73 said:
Lol that is weird. Blood worms are a lot of fishies favorite food! Of course they are fatty, so your lucky they don't like them haha. I haven't given mine blood worms in a long time unless I'm breeding them. And thanks! I'm the girl with 40 cories in a 60 gallon tank hahahaha.
Yeah they do eat them but it's not a frenzy like u would think. Wow u really like cories I guess. Hehehe

Sarah73

Whenever I drop any food into the tank, everyone goes crazy! They are ALWAYS moving so it takes many pictures before I get a Decent picture. But yes I love cories haha!!!

AllieSten

Fishing1 said:
Do you soak them first? Soaking them for 5-10 minutes in tank water it is better for them. That way it doesn’t rehydrate in their intestines causing a blockage. Soak the blood worms in some garlic juice and watch them go to town. Garlic is a great immune booster too. Plus fish love the taste.

Fishing1

Sarah73 said:
Whenever I drop any food into the tank, everyone goes crazy! They are ALWAYS moving so it takes many pictures before I get a Decent picture. But yes I love cories haha!!!
Yeah I like them too. Always so playful and peaceful with everyone

AllieSten said:
Do you soak them first? Soaking them for 5-10 minutes in tank water it is better for them. That way it doesn’t rehydrate in their intestines causing a blockage. Soak the blood worms in some garlic juice and watch them go to town. Garlic is a great immune booster too. Plus fish love the taste.
Really? Wow I'll have to try that. I usually just throw it straight in

AllieSten

Fishing1 said:
Really? Wow I'll have to try that. I usually just throw it straight in
That may be why they don’t go after them. They are like little twigs you are trying to feed them. I bet that after they are in the tank for awhile, they get eaten. Once they are softened. But by that time you aren’t watching anymore.

Always soak dried blood worms until they are soft.

86 ssinit

Are your blood worm frozen or freezdried?

Fishing1

86 ssinit said:
Are your blood worm frozen or freezdried?
Frozen

AllieSten said:
That may be why they don’t go after them. They are like little twigs you are trying to feed them. I bet that after they are in the tank for awhile, they get eaten. Once they are softened. But by that time you aren’t watching anymore.

Always soak dried blood worms until they are soft.
They are frozen any difference?

86 ssinit

I just thaw the frozen ones to tank water temps with tank water and drop them in. If your tank only has 6corys I would cut the cube in half or smaller. May just be giving them to much.

86 ssinit

I like to mix with frozen brime shrimp.

Fishing1

86 ssinit said:
I just thaw the frozen ones to tank water temps with tank water and drop them in. If your tank only has 6corys I would cut the cube in half or smaller. May just be giving them to much.
No I have other fish as well

AllieSten

Ohhh well frozen ones don’t have to be soaked. I thought you used dried.

You can still soak the frozen ones in garlic.

DoubleDutch

AllieSten said:
Ohhh well frozen ones don’t have to be soaked. I thought you used dried.

You can still soak the frozen ones in garlic.
Even when they are not soaked Corys will get them hahahaha

AllieSten

DoubleDutch said:
Even when they are not soaked Corys will get them hahahaha

Hahaha. They are so funny. I love my albinos (aeneus). Soooo much personality.

akcarroll12

Sarah73 said:
Are your earthworms alive? Do they like these? (I ask because I have albinos and I’ve never tried it before)

The Rover

I feed my corys Omega One Shrimp Pellets. They seem to like them a lot. I used to feed them an algae wafer now and then for my oto to get the shrapnel that fell off as the corys ate it up, but since learning more about how they don't provide any nutritional benefit to the corys I've stopped giving them and feed my oto a cucumber.

I use Omega One for all my fish food now as I really like their food and the fish seem to really like it whether it's flakes or betta pellets and of course, shrimp pellets.

Fishing1

The Rover said:
I feed my corys Omega One Shrimp Pellets. They seem to like them a lot. I used to feed them an algae wafer now and then for my oto to get the shrapnel that fell off as the corys ate it up, but since learning more about how they don't provide any nutritional benefit to the corys I've stopped giving them and feed my oto a cucumber.

I use Omega One for all my fish food now as I really like their food and the fish seem to really like it whether it's flakes or betta pellets and of course, shrimp pellets.
Yes unfortunately I have a good bit if tetra flakes but once they are gone I'm switching to omega one. I've read up on omega one and it sounds so much better nutritionally

madelyn anne

Fishing1 said:
I have 6 cories and I'm feeding them 2 sinking wafers a day along with what flake food falls to the bottom. The wafers are really small so not sure if that's enough. Certainly don't want to over feed them. Thanks in advance
I have 7 SterbaI corydoras, each approximately 0.5" long. I am feeding the other fish in my tank some sinking granules, that the Sterbais will clean up off of the bottom. They also get their weekly bloodworm treat (it's really cute to watch your Sterbais suck them up like spaghetti!) and 2-3x a week I'll drop four wafers into a part of the tank the other fish have difficulty accessing (so they don't steal the wafer, it's been a HUGE problem for me) and they feast on 2-3 of them, while the other 1 to 1.5 of them will inevitably get eaten by my other fish.

Basically, I feed them less than you do and mine are thriving.
As long as you can see little bellies on them, they're doing good on food!

xx

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom