Feeding Cories

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by FishyDMD, Dec 31, 2012.

1. FishyDMD

FishyDMDValued MemberMember

I just introduced 4 Bronze Cory Cats into my 29g community tank yesterday after spending 4 weeks in quarantine. They seem to be doing fine but I'm not sure how to properly feed them now that there is competition from other fish in the tank. I've been feeding mostly sinking pellets but the platies and danios get almost all of them before they hit the bottom. I purchased some Hikari sinking wafers but I'm unsure of (1) How often and how many to feed and (2) the best way to feed to prevent the greedy platies from getting to them first. Thanks for your advice!

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

They'll find something to eat like crumbs but if you want during the time when it's lights out and the fish can't see anything just throw the sinking pellets and the cory's will get to them eventually.

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Mine have no trouble competing for food. If the other fish eat them all before they reach the bottom, then try feeding more at once so some gets through. Also, putting the food in the filter outflow will disperse it better throughout the tank. Or you could get a turkey baster and deposit the food closer to the bottom. Corys don't eat algae so they don't really need algae wafers. They eat aquatic worms and inverts and such, so a high quality staple food is best.

4. Butterbean

ButterbeanValued MemberMember

I alternate between putting in algae wafers and sinking shrimp pellets after I turn out the lights at night for my BN and 6 corys. They eat some of the stuff that I feed the fish off the bottom and they love the fresh veggies but with what I put in after lights out I know they are getting what they need and enough to eat.

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I feed flake foods, algae wafers and frozen plankton, I place the complete cube frozen just under the sand and as it melts the cories dig them out :) none of my other fish ever notice them :)

6. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

I feed corys large sinking pellets that are too big for my other fish. And they also pick up any scraps from the other fish (small pellets, flakes, bloodworms). And very occasionally I'll throw in an algae wafer, which reminds me, I haven't done that in a long time.

7. marine590622

marine590622Well Known MemberMember

Take a baby food jar or something simular, put your food for the corries in this and cover lightly with substrate. This works well with live blackworms, shrimp pellets. You could also try the rapashy superfoods.

8. OP
    OP
    FishyDMD

FishyDMDValued MemberMember

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice