Feeding cories correctly Question

1. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Coradee, in your sticky you are not saying how much food is just right amount for cories? Could you please clarify?

I have 7 albinos. Six are always together and are always in the open. One is usually busy somewhere between plant containers, or behind the stones or in a tunnel. She is always the last one to join the group for the feeding because she is usually at the other end of the tank. She is also almost twice the size of others.

Is she bloated?

Is she fat because I am over feeding her? What is a good amount of food to give them? They get all the things you mention in your sticky, not at once, of course, however, before they get to their shrimp pellets or frozen food they feast on flakes I give to platies and three dot gourami.

Not all is well with the flakes either, as I think platies get too much food and gourami does not get enough.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's hard to give an exact amount as it depends on how many you have.
    As a guide, one of my tanks has 8 adult Duplicareus, 4 6 month old juveniles & 9 habrosus,
    They get a block of frozen in the morning & either 1 1/4 tabimin tablets or about 9/10 new era catfish pellets ( you made me count them!) at lights out. They'll also pick at any of the rasboras food that hits the bottom.
    I've found with mine it's hard to overfeed them they don't carry on eating if they're not hungry, if they haven't eaten all the bloodworm after an hour or so I take it out.
    Corys should have a chunky well rounded look to them, especially the females. I think you just have use your judgement as to whether they're too overweight.
    One of the females, she is carrying eggs so looks extra chunky

Attached Files:

3. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Thank you Coradee.

I don't know for sure how old my Albinos are. I think they were juveniles when we got them a few months ago. We got 4 at first, and two months later they were joined by another three, after they spent 6 weeks in QT. Now they all look the same size, with the exception of the fat one. I don't know if she is ostracized by the group, or prefers solitude.

I don't know what "tabimin tablets" are. Please make it easy on me. Please tell me how much food would be good for my 7 albinos, who I presume are less than a year old.

(It is very simple with Bettas, 7 tiny pellets a day, or Goldies, 2 to 5% of their weight divided into 3-4 meals a day. I would love to come up with a formula for my Albinos.)

There has never been a case when they did not finish frozen cube of brine shrimp or bloodworms. Does that mean I am not feeding them enough?

I don't know how to differentiate between male and female cories.

I have been waiting for your post, sorry for the delayed response. We have a severe thunderstorm warning, so we had to go out and get a few essentials in case we are stuck at home for a couple of days. We mostly got fruit, cheese, water, wine and beer, as in situations like this one neighbors tend to congregate at our place.

According to a TV report the wind has just blown off a roof from an apartment building, not that far from where we are. I just hope we don't loose electricity.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys don't tend to stick together in tight groups, mine are often spread around the tank in ones & twos
    Sounds like yours are getting plenty of food, a block of frozen plus the shrimp pellets is good, you can always give them a fast day if you think they're looking a bit podgy
    Tabimin are a tablet made by Tetra http://www.tetra.net/en/int/tropische-fische/futter/spezial-futter/tetra-tabimin mine go nuts for them.
    The most accurate way to sex them is to look at the pelvic fins, the females are a rounded fan shape, the males are more pointed.
    You can also look down on them if they're in a group, you'll see the females are broader whilst the males are more streamlined, that way isn't always accurate if they're juveniles.
    Hope the storm doesn't hit you too badly & leave you without power, stay safe.

5. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Thank you. My grateful cories thank you. Of course, they would have been much more grateful had I known what I know now when I first got them

I am off to observe my cories. They really do grow on me. I am so relieved to learn that they won't overeat.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to prevent platies from devouring Gourami's flakes. Perhaps I need to get for him some non sinking pellets.

I guess it will be my next project. By the way, I now have Meds Guru, Plant Guru, Flourite Guru, and Cories Guru. Fish keeping is getting easier and easier. More fun too. Gourami Guru position is open :)

Anyone?