Feeding common pleco vegies

quarterback13
I read in one of the threads here that you can feed them vegies. ie:cucumbers and zuchini. My 6 year old grandson has a pleco and we didnt know this. we have been feeding him algae wafers. How do you feed the vegies and what type. Also, do the vegies make a mess of the tank at all or change the water conditions.

Advertisement
Llama
You can feed them a lot of things, I think you just throw the cucumber slice in and watch them feed. As long as you remove it before it starts to rot you shouldn't have any problems with the parameters.

namehater
I'm thinking I read about microwaving it for just a few seconds to soften it up a little before giving it to them. I'm interested in the responses you get because I have a common that has only eatten algae wafers his whole life as well, hes due for a treat!

Advertisement
Llama
To soften it, you should try parboiling it.

coffeebean
wash the veggie really really well first.
cut off a 1 inch chunk and weight it down in the tank with something. I used a plant anchor.
remove it after 24 hours.

ive read/heard that cucumber and zuchinI do not need precooking but carrots do. make sure its cool before you put it in

Advertisement
Lucy
You'll also want to attach cukes/zuch with a veggie clip so it doesn't float.
Be sure to remove it after 24hrs.

CHoffman
That's what I do for my ottos too. I buy frozen zucchinI or canned green beans with no salt added or chemicals...For the zucchinI I just put it in some water and microwave it to boil it and get it soft it sinks after you microwave it. I also remove all the seeds..For greenbeans I just cut it in half long way pull out the seeds and drop them in..They eat them like crazy.

Butterfly
Here's a really cool thread we had going about feeding Plecos veggies

Carol

Dozey
The vegetables should be blanched. This term means they should be boiled just long enough that they start to get tender. Added to already boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes and then removed and immediately added to ice cold water to stop the cooking process.

You can purchase “vegetable clips” at most LFSes. They work very well and make it easy to retrieve the vegetable for removal. But you can also use a rock or other décor to weigh them down.

Generally I will add vegetables at lights out and then remove them in the morning. I really don’t have to wait 24 hours because my morning there’s seldom anything left but the skin.

quarterback13
My pleco loves the cucumbers. thanks for the tips

gt-ere
would anybody know if my peppered corys will eat the cucumber, or is it just plecos who eat it?

dee34
would anybody know if my peppered corys will eat the cucumber, or is it just plecos who eat it?

hey hows it going not sure about the cory but the pleco will eat it for deffo , what size is the pleco ?

bettafish2816

the cories will eat it but they need more protein, sinking wafers, shrimp pellets, etc

namehater
I also tried out the cucumbers, both my plecos claimed separate pieces, it was pretty neat to see them tearing into it. my albino cories wouldnt show the slices any attention, but they do love some shrimp pellets.

Butterfly
My corys show veggies more attention after the pleco has torn it up a little. Maybe it's too hard before that.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Langy
Replies
Views
shiv234
Replies
Views
Syred123
  • Question