Feeding Cichlids Minnows For The First Time

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stiglitz, Apr 20, 2012.

1. stiglitz

stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

Tomorrow I'm going to get minnows to feed:
    2 jack dempseys
    1 midas/blood parrot mix
    1 convict cichlid

i was just wondering, how many minnows should i get? is 5 too much? i don't want to overfeed (this is my first time feeding them live fish)

and also, should i feed them their normal fish food the next day? and if not, how long should i wait to feed them again?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Feeding minnows from a pet shop or any retail store is a very bad idea IMO! They can carry all sorts of diseases which will transfer to the fish that eats them. If you want to feed live food I strongly suggest you grow your own feeders. Guppies are the easiest feeders to grow from my experience.

I'd put 3-5 feeders in a tank max. Your Jack Dempsys and MidasXBP will be the only ones that will eat them. The convict might kill them but mine never ate feeders. Bloodworms are most likely a much better source of protein with less hassle.

3. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

I should of listened to Rogue -_- i got 5 feeders and only one of the JDs is eating them. only 2 have gone and the rest of the fish are ignoring them... what should i do?

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would go out and get some meds for internal parasites. It's very likely that the store bought feeders are infected with something, and since consuming infected fish is one of the ways parasites are spread, it would probably be a good thing to have on hand. I would remove the remaining feeders immediately. If you are going to feed store bought feeders, then it's imperative that you quarantine them. If you plan on feeding feeders regularly, you'll need a couple of tanks devoted to it - a quarantine tank and a holding tank. In my opinion, the feeders should be treated for various diseases while in quarantine to minimize the risk for infection and contamination. Once the fish make it through the quarantine period, they should be moved to the holding tank, which is where you would be taking them for to feed the fish.

Even if you decide to grow your own feeders, I think you'll need a multi tank system in order to have a continuous supply.

5. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

alright. lesson learned. no more feeding my cichlid's live fish. the one JD ate 3 out of 5 feeders. I'm very worried. going out to buy some meds :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice