Feeding choices and schedule

Wintersprite

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello all, I was just wondering if my feeding choices and schedule is ok for my current stock. Right now I currently have a halfmoon betta and 4 harlequin rasboras. In the next week or so I will be getting 4 more harlequins. Currently I am feeding them omega one super color flakes and part of a thawed/shelled pea once a day (generally at night). Here is my current schedule that I have them on:

Sunday: Fast day
Monday & Tuesday: omega one flakes
Wednesday: about 1/4 of a pea
Thursday & Friday: omega one flakes
Saturday: about 1/4 of a pea

I plan on keeping this same schedule once I get the other 4 harlequins besides maybe feeding about 1/2 of a pea instead since there will be more fish in the tank to feed. I am open to other feeding ideas and suggestions if what I am currently doing is not ideal for my current stock.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hear a varied diet is best - a mix of flakes, freeze-dried, frozen and veggies. I usually do:

Sun: frozen brine shrimp
Mon: Omega 1 flakes
Tue: Freeze-dried Bloodworms
Wed: NLS Thera a+ Sinking pellets
Thurs: Omega 1 flakes
Fri: Fast day
Sat: Peas in the morning and minI pellets at night

I may change it up and add algae wafers when I get my adolfo corys.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd only feed the peas once a week after the fast day, the rest of the week I'd feed a variety of foods, flakes, pellets frozen etc
What one food may lack the others will make up for.

el337 said:
I hear a varied diet is best - a mix of flakes, freeze-dried, frozen and veggies.

I may change it up and add algae wafers when I get my adolfo corys.
Corys aren't algae eaters, they need a meatier diet.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Coradee said:
I'd only feed the peas once a week after the fast day, the rest of the week I'd feed a variety of foods, flakes, pellets frozen etc
What one food may lack the others will make up for.

Corys aren't algae eaters, they need a meatier diet.
Hmmmm fishlore fish profiles list algae wafers as part of their diet.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
el337 said:
Hmmmm fishlore fish profiles list algae wafers as part of their diet.
They'll eat them if there's nothing else on offer but they get little nutrition from them

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh ok. I bought a bag when I thought I'd also get a bn pleco but I had changed my mind. Maybe I'll get one now. Lol we'll see.

OP
Wintersprite

Wintersprite

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thank you for the advise guys. I will cut the peas back to once a week after the fast day. For frozen food would you suggest omega one frozen bloodworms or omega one frozen brine shrimp? Also what pellets would you suggest? I would like to try and get the pellets at a lfs or a petco/petsmart.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
orca0714 said:
Ok thank you for the advise guys. I will cut the peas back to once a week after the fast day. For frozen food would you suggest omega one frozen bloodworms or omega one frozen brine shrimp? Also what pellets would you suggest? I would like to try and get the pellets at a lfs or a petco/petsmart.
I don't think I've ever seen Omega One frozen food. I usually get Hikari. I don't know what other brands are good for frozen. As for pellets, I think either Omega One and New Life Spectrum are the best.

Geoff

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use Omega One frozen brine shrimp from PetSmart, Omega One shrimp pellets, and Omega One flakes. I also use New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. I don't have a strict schedule, I just mix it up as I go.

New Threads