Feeding choices and schedule

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Wintersprite, Jul 24, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello all, I was just wondering if my feeding choices and schedule is ok for my current stock. Right now I currently have a halfmoon betta and 4 harlequin rasboras. In the next week or so I will be getting 4 more harlequins. Currently I am feeding them omega one super color flakes and part of a thawed/shelled pea once a day (generally at night). Here is my current schedule that I have them on:

Sunday: Fast day
    Monday & Tuesday: omega one flakes
    Wednesday: about 1/4 of a pea
    Thursday & Friday: omega one flakes
    Saturday: about 1/4 of a pea

I plan on keeping this same schedule once I get the other 4 harlequins besides maybe feeding about 1/2 of a pea instead since there will be more fish in the tank to feed. I am open to other feeding ideas and suggestions if what I am currently doing is not ideal for my current stock.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I hear a varied diet is best - a mix of flakes, freeze-dried, frozen and veggies. I usually do:

Sun: frozen brine shrimp
    Mon: Omega 1 flakes
    Tue: Freeze-dried Bloodworms
    Wed: NLS Thera a+ Sinking pellets
    Thurs: Omega 1 flakes
    Fri: Fast day
    Sat: Peas in the morning and mini pellets at night

I may change it up and add algae wafers when I get my adolfo corys.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd only feed the peas once a week after the fast day, the rest of the week I'd feed a variety of foods, flakes, pellets frozen etc
    What one food may lack the others will make up for.

Corys aren't algae eaters, they need a meatier diet.

4. el337

Hmmmm fishlore fish profiles list algae wafers as part of their diet.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They'll eat them if there's nothing else on offer but they get little nutrition from them

6. el337

Oh ok. I bought a bag when I thought I'd also get a bn pleco but I had changed my mind. Maybe I'll get one now. Lol we'll see.

7. OP
    OP
    W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Ok thank you for the advise guys. I will cut the peas back to once a week after the fast day. For frozen food would you suggest omega one frozen bloodworms or omega one frozen brine shrimp? Also what pellets would you suggest? I would like to try and get the pellets at a lfs or a petco/petsmart.

8. el337

I don't think I've ever seen Omega One frozen food. I usually get Hikari. I don't know what other brands are good for frozen. As for pellets, I think either Omega One and New Life Spectrum are the best.

9. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I use Omega One frozen brine shrimp from PetSmart, Omega One shrimp pellets, and Omega One flakes. I also use New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. I don't have a strict schedule, I just mix it up as I go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice