Feeding bugs to your fish?

Evelyn1919
anyone here feeds their fish bugs?
i'm talking like ants, fruit flies and those bigger house flies?
I know someone who said fish love those things and that are good for him.

would it be good if I fed my fish these bugs?

tzqng8
What if the bugs have touched any kind of pesticide or herbacide? That could be bad. Generally, in the wild, fish would probably eat them if they had access to them, but there might be more risk in this way.

Taku
I wouldnt do it. As a general rule, I won't feed my fish anything that has not been freeze dried. This cuts out the possibility of contaminants in the food.

Evelyn1919
OHHH....well I just wanted to see if anyone else was doing this stuff. it's kinda gross anyways so I don't think I would do it.

Shaina
Waaay back in the day, when the Earth was young and so was I, my brother used to feed his Oscar crickets and such. On the other hand, we grew up in the middle of nowhere, and he caught these crickets in my mom's garden, which was organic and surrounded by our chemical-free lawn, so the likelihood of chemical contamination was low.

Now...I wouldn't do that unless I was raising the cricket and such myself.

David C
I've thought about it right after killing the odd fly around the house, but I figured I was being weird and haven't done it... yet. But the pesticide is a pretty real concern and now I won't even contemplate the idea. Good catch tzqng8.

tzqng8
I picked the idea up from Chief Water Changer or Dino, so it wasn't all me! But thanks for the compliment!

On another note, there are plenty of species of fish that primarily or only eat live food. Some Cichlids, many saltwater fish, etc. That could be (and I am sure is) an enjoyable for some hobbyists who want those types of fish and still want to reproduce their natural environment to the best of their ability.

KyWildFish
I'd be more worried about disease and parasites than chemicals, those are there to kill the insects remember.

tzqng8
To kill the insects, not to kill the fish who aren't supposed to be eating the houseflies that are being killed with pesticides.

But yeah, disease and parasites are another good reason!

TuesdaysChild
I give all my fish fruit flies every now and then. One of my female Betta's won't touch them but the rest love them. The first time I got them, I got the flightless ones from petco. The wings seemed huge to me so recently I got a culture of wingless ones from someone on ebay. It produces way too many flies so, I end up freezing most of them. I'll probably start my own culture from this one when it starts to get low and have a little stock pile of them. They do give me the creeps though, especially when there are lots of them in the container. I'm always worried they're going to escape and I'll have fruit flies crawling all over the place.

Amanda
I've heard of people feeding their fish meal worms or earth worms. But these people ususally raise them themselves.

Steve113
I gave my fish a pringle the other day! they went crazy for it!

I know it's not quite the same but hey!

jdhef
I gave my fish a pringle the other day! they went crazy for it!

I know it's not quite the same but hey!

Keep that up and you'll be giving them Lipitor next!

Steve113
what's Lipitor?
:S

jdhef
It's a Cholestoral medicine (ment for humans of course). It is the largest selling cholestoral medicine in the US, and I guess I assumed it was well know world wide. (Reminder to self:That's what happens when you assume, so don't assume )

Steve113
hehe I see.

Nah, It was a one off - I don't make a habit of feeding them random stuff.

Although my goldfish which Ive had since I was about 3 got fed anything and everying and he's still going - He's real fat though!

Steen16
lol is that a pritty old fish?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah73
Replies
Views
akcarroll12
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch