Feeding bristlenose catfish

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 20, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

After reading a few posts about peoples BNs dying due to possible starvation im now worried im not feeding my BN enough..

Mon, Wed, Fri- all my fish get blood worms (the worms usually get tossed around the entire tank by the current but i havent seen my BN eat them yet unless there are some left over after lights out)

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun - my fish get there normal diet of a mix of Nutridiet tropical flakes and Hikari micro pellets, corys get high protein sinking waffers and my BN gets a slice of zucchini with either an algea wafer or protein wafer pressed into the zucchini. I have deffinately seen him eating this..

He has 24/7 access to driftwood and any algea in the tank

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I leave a fresh veggie in 24/7 for my pleco so he can munch on it throughout the day/night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

It would be a good idea to give fresh veggies several days of the week. I add 2 algae wafers or "bottom feeder tablets" almost every day for my 2 catfish, shark and pleco that will eat them. Mine has grown from less than an inch to 3.5 inches in 5 months so I think he is getting enough, lol. If you notice slow growth, then s/he is probably not getting enough. You could also leave your lights on in the tank for a little longer every day to encourage algae growth for the pleco.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437497153.093712.jpg yep !!!

5. OP
    OP
    K

Ok so this everyday

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    K

Does urs always have his fins out like that? Mine doesnt is there something wrong with mine?

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

No defo not always!!!

8. Bijou88

My pleco pops his fins up when he gets excited but he drops them often when he calms down. Nothing to worry about with yours. :)

9. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

They should have a fresh veg available 24/7 besides other food, Just put it in one day and take out and replace the next day with a fresh piece .As they get used to veggies you can try all sorts of veggies and some fruits, No onions and no hot peppers. Any kind of squash, cukes, carrots, sweet potatoes, any dark leafy greens, cabbage broccoli, swiss chard, water melon, cantalope, ect, ect. That is half the fun of the plecs, feeding them.. Alison

10. OP
    OP
    K

Can carrot be feed raw? I feed my zucchini raw and he loves it.. I have some spinach in fridge might give that ago too

I fed all my fish a cube of brine shrimp the other day for the first time ever and my BN was even brave enough to come out and eat some too so hopefully as he gets bigger and accustomed to feeding times he will start coming out more for other foods too rather than just eating veg and algea

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  11. aliray

You can either blanch or feed it raw. I feed all of mine raw veggies. The brine shrimp and frozen Blood worms are a good protein source. They do get used to feeding times and areas of where the food is placed. My male ABN Lucky loves to take all the skin off his zuchhini first and then goes for the soft stuff. My other two make scoops is the soft centers and eat that .Sounds like yous will have a happy home . Alison

12. OP
    OP
    K

Is capsicum safe to feed BN

13. aliray

I would say no to the hot peppers or capsicum. However any of the sweet bell peppers are fine, green beans, are good. Alison

14. OP
    OP
    K

I almost freaked out then remembered in australia the sweet bell peppers are called capsicum lol

15. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I have feed my BN's capsicum of all colours and they like it, not as much as zucchini, cucumber, butternut pumpkin and strawberries but they will eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. aliray

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. HEHE In the USA they call the hot peppers capsicum and put that ingredient in a lot of arthritis creams and creams for aches and pains for the effect on the nerves. I am sure they are still in the same family. Birds don't have the heat sensors that people do and most parrots like hot peppers. Alison

17. OP
    OP
    K

So put in green 'sweet' capsicum last night BN not a fan however my SAEs and sterbai corys have been into it so someone likes it

18. OP
    OP
    K

Maybe i was wrong she seems to be enjoying the capsicum.. Might try carrot or peas tonight... She (no bristles so assuming a girl) definately bigger and filling out now only had her 1 month.. And has finally got the hang of coming out at feeding time gets her far share of what evers going... Shes also changing colours do they change colours often shes a lot lighter and browner than when i got her? Parameters are great ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5

Attached Files:

19. Bijou88

Changing colors to blend in is normal for some plecos, she's probably gotten lighter because of the light tan sand. She looks to be enjoying her pepper! :)

20. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

They will also change colour depending on what they eat.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438063408.292110.jpg

The one in the shell loves pumpkin the one on the outside prefers white flesh fruits (zucchini, cucumber etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice