Feeding birds

Dino
Anyone else keeping a bird feeder going this winter?

My parents keep a range of bird feeders going.

We sat in their sun room this morning and counted over 28 species of birds in about an hour.
One of the funniest things to watch is the birds eatting doughnuts.
My parents buy them on the quick sale rack at several local grocery stores.

Blub
Hi!

Here in the UK we get about 10-15 species an hour. We have a HUGE feeder station with around 15 feeders and we get quite a few rare birds.

sirdarksol
I have feeders out, but it seems that the parts of the yard we can see from our windows are too exposed in the cold, and we haven't seen much of anything for the past month or so, other than the squirrels that venture out on the warmer days. Hopefully there are some birds that are enjoying the suet feeder I've got hanging in the pine trees.

On Christmas day, my parents and I saw about a dozen different types of birds while we ate breakfast (that's a pretty wide range around here during the winter. Many of our birds migrate south to avoid the cold)

Dino
Here in the midsouth, we keep many bird species year round.
We, too, have species that migrate south, such as the hummingbirds.

Blub
Hi!

If I saw even the most common species of hummingbird I would do a triple somersault with joy! You are so lucky in the States. Something like 2000 bird species! Aside from fishkeeping - birdwatching - or 'birding' as I tend to call it- is myfavourite hobby.

Dino
We have a big birding event going on locally.
There are several thousand sand hill cranes wintering over in the area I live in.
They do this in one of the state parks.
People come from all over the country to get a chance to see them up close.

Here is a link about this event.

Blub
Wow Dino!
I wish I could come to the USA. About the only birds that would be the same are Sparrows ans Starlings!;D

sirdarksol
I love the cranes and herons. They're so beautiful.

I've got a honeysuckle plant out back that has, in years past, attracted hummingbirds. My parents have seen many hummingbirds over the year.

Blub
Hi!

Where I live - the grey heron is a common sight. However - there is a rare specis know as the 'Purple heron'.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gremlin
Replies
Views
KarenSoCal
Replies
Views
pRoy33
  • trixirita
  • Guppy