Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like to use tweezers to hold the little pellets and sort of tap the surface a bit to mimic a struggling insect. Garlic guard also helps.

Fluval bug bites are a really good food though if you want to get them as well.

dbla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like to use tweezers to hold the little pellets and sort of tap the surface a bit to mimic a struggling insect. Garlic guard also helps.

Fluval bug bites are a really good food though if you want to get them as well.
Yeah I have the bug bites food currently... but he seems to miss most of it when I drop it in the water. I'll try the mimicking. Thanks!

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For my slow eaters (for fish in general - not just bettas, but does include bettas), I only drop one or two pellets or flakes in at a time and make sure they eat that and come back to the surface before I feed them more. Yes, it takes a lot longer, but I get to better regulate what they eat, make sure no waste sinks to the substrate, and spend some personal time with my fish

Also, I have an older female betta whose eyesight is starting to go. I think she can still see, but everything is blurry to her, because she knows where my fingers are but cannot see or find food on her own. I am so thankful I trained her to eat from my fingers, because now she knows to nibble on my fingers for food (usually freeze dried bloodworms or pellets stuck to my fingers) and she would probably now starve if I hadn't taught her this. A few freeze dried bloodworms are great as an occasional meal, especially since they're much larger than pellets and easier for the fish to find.

NanaW

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feed my boy one pellet at a time with tweezers I lay them on his leaf hammock he likes to dive bomb them lol

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey All,

Quick question I couldn't figure out...

I'm pretty new to raising bettas... When I go to feed my guy he doesn't always see the food or have a chance to eat much of it before it sinks. Is there a better way? Just don't want him to starve...

My LFS recommended this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A6577-Tropical-Granules-Medium/dp/B07194GD1F

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-a
I feed mine a base diet of Hikari Gold. He likes them, but I don't drop them in until he's following my finger, so he knows where to find his food. I supplement with freeze dried or frozen bloodworms.

Or, you could do the other thing I did, but didn't mean to do... My other betta, Babyfish (Blackfish's nextdoor neighbor) just passed away last week and Blackfish moped and searched for his friend for several days. Didn't want to eat, hardly moved... So I got him a trio of Zebra Danios as tank mates. (Yes, they're doing well together, and Blackfish has perked up tremendously.)

They scooped out 2f, and 1m. In the few days they've been here, both have dropped eggs into the glass marble tank decorations... And Blackfish has feasted both times. Honestly, he's never looked better, twisted as that may be. He's constantly searching through the marbles, moving them around. It's provided terrific stimulation for him, although I'm hoping the ladies will not produce more eggs. Watching a fish eat their own eggs is mildly disturbing. That said, I'm not sure Blackfish will settle for freeze dried or frozen now. I may have to start culturing daphinia for him to hunt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom