Feeding Bettas

MarissaLaSirena

Reaction score
i was told a vile of flightless fruit flies were the best nutrition for my betta and I’m sad it turned to mold... the sales person at the pet store said it should last a month and now I see it only lasts that way if it’s continuously cultured.. idk what that means for fruit flies. Is this the best food for my betta? Should I be switching it up? Help!! first time betta mom!

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
They are carnivores and would love to eat live food, but for a first time betta mom you should just stick to the basics. Betta like a variety of different foods. For a beginner I think its best to have at least 3 different variety of food for your tropical fish. Perhaps try betta pellets like the Hikari brand or New life Spectrum Betta Formula. Though Hikari's first ingredient is fish meal, while the new life spectrum's first ingredient is whole antartic krill. You can give them Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Formula. The smell is a lot in that container but boy your fish will love it. First ingredient in that one dried black soldier fly larva, followed salmon. You can also give them Frozen Brine Shrimp or Frozen Blood Worms.

Again, it's nice to give them live foods if you can, but they will also do fine on the food I stated above. I hope this helps <3

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine eats pellets that are broken up a little, crumbled flake food, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and the live fruit flies. He even steals bits of algae wafers and bottom feeder pellets I put in for my snails. It's funny to watch him follow the Mystery snail around until he sees that the snail is munching on something. Then he tries to steal it.

My vial of flies from PetSmart is doing fine. I was down to 3 or 4 flies but after a few days, I had about 30 again. I see no mold problems and I did put a small piece of apple in the vial which is now gone.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
MarissaLaSirena said:
i was told a vile of flightless fruit flies were the best nutrition for my betta and I’m sad it turned to mold... the sales person at the pet store said it should last a month and now I see it only lasts that way if it’s continuously cultured.. idk what that means for fruit flies. Is this the best food for my betta? Should I be switching it up? Help!! first time betta mom!
A vile of fruit flies are indeed good for a betta, but not complete whole nutrition for a betta. A betta for best health and a longest life should be fed a varied diet. Omega One is good for their betta flakes, it's really really good and their list of ingredients is very good. Maybe even one of the best that can be found at pet store. Bettas can eat many more things than just fish food, I feed mine a mix of frozen food, fish food, and live food, I'd be light on the freeze dried though because it has been known to cause issues if overfed. And live food well there is always risk of parasites so that's another thing you have to be careful about, once I fed my betta two worms I got from the ground and she loved them but she had no ill effects, just from now on I won't take the chance of her catching a parasite. If you live near a place with mosquitos (who doesn't?) Then you could culture your own mosquito larvae and it's super easy plus safer for your betta which would reduce risk of parasites than just scooping them up from just any water you see . Bettas are carnivores, but mostly insectivores meaning they eat insects for protein. So fluval bug bites are good. But it's fine if you don't get all of the nutrition from the bugs as long as it's high protein and low filler. Try to avoid foods with filler even if they have high protein, especially foods that start with wheat flour which yes there are foods that do. Foods that start with "whole fish.. whole anything" are really good. Anyways hope that helps and if you have any more questions, ask!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom