Question Feeding betta fruit flies?

Doremy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi.

My current betta I feed with fruit flies, the one that is found in jars at the store. They're the flightless kind, and the betta does seem to enjoy devouring them.

Are they a good food source?

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m kinda jealous. My bettas snub the fruit flies. Anything else they’ll eat no problem but not fruit flies that have been specially prepared for them!

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There's the obligatory "variety is best" talk, but fruit flies are probably a step above the cheap pellets that most people use as a staple diet. Bettas are natural insectivores, there's no "filler products" in a fly, and flies fed an especially nutritious food such as Repashy would be an excellent food source.

Doremy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alright, thanks for the answer!

Sometimes I feed it bloodworms, but only a little for about once a week. If the fruit flies are still maggots or pupas, I would give him pellets.

OlgaMolga

Valued Member
Reaction score
There's the obligatory "variety is best" talk, but fruit flies are probably a step above the cheap pellets that most people use as a staple diet. Bettas are natural insectivores, there's no "filler products" in a fly, and flies fed an especially nutritious food such as Repashy would be an excellent food source.
YES YES YES ! I LOVE THIS.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, but, feeding just fruit flies would not offer the variety that a pellet has. Fruit flies are just fruit flies. High quality pellets are a combination of squid, krill, various meat meals, shrimp, bugs, other whole fish, and the proper vitamins and such that a betta would need. Yes the fruit flies are excellent foods for the occasion as a supplement (2x/week maybe). But they do not have the proper variety for a decent diet that pellets have.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do think it's better to feed pellets than trying to strictly replicate a betta's natural diet. I would just feed flies as a treat.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want to put in the effort, my bettas ADORE eating the fruit fly maggots. A nearly mature one is the perfect size too. I often collect them when my culture has started to go bad. I’ll shake all the flies out into another container and then pour the contents into a plate and collect whatever maggots happen to be still alive in there. Rinse them off and voila, a real treat! I don’t think they get equally excited for anything except maybe white worms.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, but, feeding just fruit flies would not offer the variety that a pellet has. Fruit flies are just fruit flies.
I only said that they're probably better than low-quality, cheap pellets. Of course higher quality stuff like Bug Bites and what have you will have more stuff in them, and feeding those would be easier than culturing live animals, but that's beside the point.

Flies are flies but the things that I culture for my dart frog and other small critters as a staple diet seems to keep them very healthy. They're gut loaded with highly nutritious food after all. I don't see why it would be different for a betta fish.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I only said that they're probably better than low-quality, cheap pellets. Of course higher quality stuff like Bug Bites and what have you will have more stuff in them, and feeding those would be easier than culturing live animals, but that's beside the point.

Flies are flies but the things that I culture for my dart frog and other small critters as a staple diet seems to keep them very healthy. They're gut loaded with highly nutritious food after all. I don't see why it would be different for a betta fish.
Ohh yep now I see what you’re saying. Yep way better than the cheap filler pellets for sure *thumbs up*

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom