feeding bamboo shrimp?

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by scotty b, Dec 4, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

whats a good way to make sure bamboo shrimp are well fed ? i have gotten 3 and they where starved at the pet store (picking at the gravel) i have been squeezing the pre-filter sponge for my h.o.b and they seem to eat the muck that produces is there a better way to feed them ?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

They pick at the gravel because they scavenge for food. What size tank and what else is in there?

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

they are not scavengers they are filter feeders its a bad sign if they pick at gravel they are in a small fish community tank 55 gallon

4. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

They're definitely not scavengers, you're right scotty. Picking at the gravel is a sign of not getting enough to eat.

I fed my Hikari First Bites. I put some tank water in a mug, sprinkled in some HFB, and used a turkey baster to spot feed them. They might skitter away at first, but they learn to associate the turkey baster with food.

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Sorry, my RCS pick at microcritters on my plants and moss. I assumed the same for bamboos!

6. OP
    OP
    scotty b

one if filtering away, the other is picking at gravel and the 3rd i dont think will make it :(

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Bamboos are indeed filter feeders, one good way of getting them food is by putting an ornament near the outflow of your filter and giving them places to hang by the filter flow, short of that i think the turkey baster method would be your best bet. I have always wanted them but my tanks are mostly betta inhabited and my bettas really LOVE shrimp.

8. OP
    OP
    scotty b

I tryed to feed them and they ran away , would it help if i removed the fine filter floss from my filtration ? would it add more floaty bits for them to eat ?

9. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

As long as the tank is mature, the best way to feed them is to simply not over-clean. Stuff is going to break off from the filter, and is going to get under and around it. They can eat microscopic bits.

10. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure why this hasn't been widely adopted in the FW world, but what about spot feeding? I've never kept this species so I have not tried it. In SW, spot feeding corals is a common occurrence, so I don't see why this wouldn't work in FW as well. It's just a matter of picking the right thing to spot feed.

11. OP
    OP
    scotty b

so the pollyfoam wont take food they can eat? i have had them about 6 hours and they are picking at the gravel still is this bad? dose it mean they cant filter feed?
    *i tried to spot feed and they got freaked out

12. P

PJPJ New Member Member

Just a thought but will Bamboo shrimp eat Micro worms and others of their ilk. Micro worms are very easy to keep in a jar etc.

13. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It took mine awhile to figure it out. Don't put the turkey baster too close; hold it a ways away and let the current take the food to them.

I doubt any sort of worm will work; they catch dust-sized particulate in their fans and anything worm-like would likely be too big. Also, welcome to FishLore! :;toast

14. OP
    OP
    scotty b

could i use biozyme to feed my bamboos or would it starve out my bb?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice