Feeding baby brine shrimp?

cds333

Reaction score
I have successfully hatched the brine shrimp from eggs, in a bubbler device I built. Starting with distilled water, around ph 8, I bring it to 1.018 and aerate at room temp. All is well until they are all hatched, but then they start dying. A few days later most are dead. I have removed the empty egg shells and kept the bubbler going, and the instructions do not give much info for what to do next to grow them into regular size so I can feed them to my puffers.

I saw a guy on YT who said to feed them spirulina powder, but I don't know how much to feed them or how often. Also I don't know if the bubbler is too powerful (can they eat when they are being violently thrashed around their tank with the current)?

How do I keep them alive?

Thanks!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not feed them right after they hatch [like that day ?] ..
They loose their nutritional value by the minute once they absorb their eggs sack [which is the part the fish wants ] ..
Too many people keep BBS past the point of usefulness..
I have tried to raise them just for giggles and found it difficult /impossible for me .
I hatch 3 batches of brine shrimp a day for last 4 years ..Just bought 2 lbs of eggs !
All my fish from fry to adult swordtails ,rams ,angels and discus eat the BBS ..They just need to learn [or remember] what they are ..

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If its adult brine shrimp you need, I think you are better off just buying it. I believe it's pretty involved to raise brine shrimp. Probably not worth the effort in my opinion.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have tried to grow bbs a lot and it very rarely works but every now and then I get a few to grow. I feed spirulina after 2 days. I found sea salt from the supermarket better than everything in the fish shop. Also I have a bare airline without a stone to aerate without causing too much turbulence.
This is the best I have managed so far. If you find a better method I would like to hear about it

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two DIY 2-liter hatchers going. That gives 48 hours each, so I can feed one every day. I feed about half in the morning, and the other half in the evening. I don't try to grow them

I've always used tap water. I don't see the need for distilled water.

I'd recommend rinsing the hatchery after every batch. The eggs are actually pretty dirty, and there's a ton of bacteria. It will get stinky really fast if you don't put fresh water in.

Your pH and salinity look good. The only other thing I'd suggest is a heat lamp. I got a heat lamp for reptiles that keeps the hatch at about 78 degrees. They actually hatch in 30 hours or so.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have two DIY 2-liter hatchers going. That gives 48 hours each, so I can feed one every day. I feed about half in the morning, and the other half in the evening. I don't try to grow them

I've always used tap water. I don't see the need for distilled water.

I'd recommend rinsing the hatchery after every batch. The eggs are actually pretty dirty, and there's a ton of bacteria. It will get stinky really fast if you don't put fresh water in.

Your pH and salinity look good. The only other thing I'd suggest is a heat lamp. I got a heat lamp for reptiles that keeps the hatch at about 78 degrees. They actually hatch in 30 hours or so.
The op is asking what to feed the bbs to grow it into adult brine shrimp. They know how to hatch them and have done so successfully. :)

cds333

Reaction score
I am trying to avoid having to drive to the fish store every week to buy a single cup of shrimp, since they are overpriced and do not last more than a week. My puffers will not eat frozen or freeze dried and would probably not even recognize the BBS as food.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am trying to avoid having to drive to the fish store every week to buy a single cup of shrimp, since they are overpriced and do not last more than a week. My puffers will not eat frozen or freeze dried and would probably not even recognize the BBS as food.
Maybe try raising some type of freshwater shrimp as the food source?

Would they eat frozen if it was warmed up a little first? Do you thaw it out really well before feeding?

cds333

Reaction score
I have tried even mixing the frozen (thawed) with live and feeding at the same time. They take it into their mouths and spit it back out. They will not be tricked. I never should have listened to the fish store guy who recommended live food. Once they get addicted it is impossible to switch back. They will literally starve themselves to death rather than eat anything else. I have tried multiple things! Ironically the store fed them freeze dried brine shrimp before selling them to me.

This guy makes it look pretty easy to raise them:

I don't understand why mine are dying. The only difference is that I have them in a sep-funnel setup whereas he has them in a tub. The only thing I can think of is that they are constantly being smashed into the sides of the vessel from the current (even minimum setting on the air valve creates significant circular movement) and they are being traumatized.

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well. . . I saw a guy in YT that raises a Daphnia in a big basin and he always succeeds. Maybe if your concern is dying from small container you can also try hatching BBS in a larger container ( or a big basin or a tub ) for the aerator to disperse the current properly so that this yummy BBS doesn't trashed wildly in the small DIY hatchery. Most of the time BBS when hatched are directly fed to fishes and I hardly find any forums, articles or YT vids shows how to properly raise them anyway I would also like to know how to farm a brine shrimp.

cds333

Reaction score
Agreed. Can't find much of anything; everywhere I look the instructions stop at the point where they hatch :(

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed. Can't find much of anything; everywhere I look the instructions stop at the point where they hatch :(
Maybe they don't want us to grow some or even those that keeps them are having hard time dealing with it. I'll just stick on hatching them and feed them immediately it seems more of a work to try to keep them alive and grow than to just hatch this yummy brines.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom