Feeding Aphids?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

I've heard of feeding aphids? Has anyone had any experience with feeding their fish these? If so what kind of fish?

I was looking to feed these to Angels and Rasboras (obviously not a lot of them) Too much of anything is never good, but thought I would run it past you guys :)

Thanks ahead of time.

[​IMG]
    Luna w/ her latest batch

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If you can buy them from a reputable source free of disease, I don't see why not. However wingless fruit flies are a lot easier to get your hands on and IMO a pretty good source of nutrition.

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You can feed any insects to pretty much any fish that will eat them. Just be sure they haven't been sprayed with anything. My cats catch a steady supply of butterflies, moths and house flies for my fish. :)

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

what kind of diseases do they carry? So I probably dont want to pick them off the rose bush even if i know its not been sprayed with pesticides. I'd much rather be safe than sorry, my fish are already spoil ;)

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

hampalong HAHA I bet that's interesting to watch. You ever think your cat might be bulking up the fish for a rainy day? ;)

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I dunno, they only let me have them when they're finished with them. :)

I don't think insects will carry any disease that's transferrable to fish.

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They can carry parasites. It's not very likely, but it's possible. If you're talking about collecting your own, you have to consider that while they're on your rosebush now, they haven't always been. They could have been in a neighbor's yard, and he could spray pesticides or similar.

You'll often see me talking about using locally collected items in my tanks. Keep in mind that while I know it's safe for me, I don't often advise others to do the same unless they can be sure of pesticide exposure. Leaves and wood collected from your own yard, for instance, are going to be safe as long as you don't spray. Bugs? Not so much. I'm not saying bugs never get into my tanks. I live in the national forest. Of course bugs get into my tanks lol. I can't tell you how many times I found ants in my betta rubra tank during a water change. But I don't put them there on purpose.

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well junebug you made a very good point, and I think I will leave the aphids on the rose bush, they seem pretty happy. LOL