Feeding Angelfish

BaseballMom

Valued Member
Reaction score
so I chose angelfish as my centerpiece fish. 38 gallon fully cycled tank since February. 1 angelfish, 5 glofish tetras 2 Corys. Everyone is getting along just fine since Saturday. Temp is at 76

I keep wondering if I’m feeding him enough. I started feeding twice a day with flake food. I bought a variety pack of frozen cubes that seems to be all things suggested to feed them but I also see that frozen should be a treat not a staple. Everything I’ve seen says give him as much as he will eat in 30 seconds but that isn’t working out. A lot gets by him and just settling on the bottom. Suggestions on feeding my crew?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just feed him like you normally feed your fish. Angels are not picky eaters and will definitely eat anything that you offer. However, I don't get what you meant by, "A lot gets by him and just settling on the bottom."

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If food is being uneaten, it means you are overfeeding. Remember that it is almost impossible to underfeed fish unless you are TRYING to underfeed them.

Variety is good, and you can have fast days. Remember fish can go months without food.

If your fish is uninterested in food, he could be stressed or sick.

If your fish is being outcompeted during feeding time, you can try scattering food, or feeding different sized pieces. You can also adjust of your feeding. Some fish will be more or less active in the evening

ChristianYK

Reaction score
As a suggestion, I would add at least 6 more corys as they like to be in groups of 5+ and a 38 gallon tank is plenty big enough for several more cory.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed frozen foods 1-2 times a week, it is very healthy food that should not be called a treat, As it probobly has more nutrition then almost all the other food you can feed.
Depending on the amount of fish you have, one cube of frozen food will be too much for one feeding. some of it is going to get past the fish, and the fish may not go after the tiny peices, but you need to decide if you are over feeding. And I just feed all 22 or so fish in my tank one cube of food. and that is all they get today. So i think one half a cube for your fish might even be too much.
what you can do - get a little shot glass size jar whith a cork or lid, fill it with tank water add the cube, only feed a small portion. maybe 25% and put the rest in the fridge and feed it to them next time.
So - did you get a smalll baby angel fish? if the body size is about the size of a half dollar coin or less, it is still a baby, and small feedings 2-3 times a day is best. But you need to be very careful not to over feed the tank!, consider portioning out the weeks food in a weekly medicine holder.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with all the above. I would also suggest adding more cory cats of the same species that way the food "getting by" will be consumed by them instead of rotting on the bottom and they will stir it up as well to allow the others to notice it and some will end up in the filter to avoid any water parameter issues. A full shot of your tank would be nice.

BaseballMom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with all the above. I would also suggest adding more cory cats of the same species that way the food "getting by" will be consumed by them instead of rotting on the bottom and they will stir it up as well to allow the others to notice it and some will end up in the filter to avoid any water parameter issues. A full shot of your tank would be nice.
I had more Corys but some didn’t make the transition well so I ended up with 2. I don’t really want more albinos though

BaseballMom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feed frozen foods 1-2 times a week, it is very healthy food that should not be called a treat, As it probobly has more nutrition then almost all the other food you can feed.
Depending on the amount of fish you have, one cube of frozen food will be too much for one feeding. some of it is going to get past the fish, and the fish may not go after the tiny peices, but you need to decide if you are over feeding. And I just feed all 22 or so fish in my tank one cube of food. and that is all they get today. So i think one half a cube for your fish might even be too much.
what you can do - get a little shot glass size jar whith a cork or lid, fill it with tank water add the cube, only feed a small portion. maybe 25% and put the rest in the fridge and feed it to them next time.
So - did you get a smalll baby angel fish? if the body size is about the size of a half dollar coin or less, it is still a baby, and small feedings 2-3 times a day is best. But you need to be very careful not to over feed the tank!, consider portioning out the weeks food in a weekly medicine holder.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom