Feeding Anemones?

Phish_Phan

I picked up a bubble tip and asked how often I could feed it and what etc. and the guy said a shrimp once a month. When I went to pick it up the other guy there said not to feed an anemone at all, and they get what they need by themselves and they solely need light to survive. This Anemone is big and very colorful and open etc and he said it was in their shop for 4.5 months in the tank with only live rocks and no fish etc and they have never fed it anything.

He said feeding it makes it dependent and also makes it use up it's natural energy to digest it etc and it is in better harmony to just survive on light alone. He had a more detailed explanation but that was the basic jist of it

Do many people NOT feed their anemones?

Lchi87

I'm my research, nems do appreciate occasional feeding. They do get nourishment from from being photosynthetic but I’ve been led to believe that it does need supplemental meaty food. Some people just let their nem feed off leftovers that blow around the tank after their fish and coral are fed so in that sense, they aren’t specifically being fed.

Its important to not overfeed the nem though since the food it consumes can rot in their gut so I would only do very small amounts.

I’m sure you already know but lfs store advice should be taken with a grain of salt (teehee ) they may mean well but aren’t always right so research, research, research!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wild Bill
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
fishaddiction
  • ServingAces15
  • Corals