Feeding amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right now I'm (stupidly. This will teach me to research better before starting a hobby) cycling with a dojo loach and 3 zebra danios and so I'm trying to feed them very little. The danios get three or so little pinches of flake food a day or once a week a bit of freeze dried blood worms. My dojo loach usually gets half an algae wafer or a shrimp pellet. Once a week or so I'll give them half a pea for a treat and they just go at it at will. And I've read that I should fast them one day a week too, so that's happening as well.

I know my danios are fine because they are tiny little pigs (my biggest likes to try and steal food from the dojo) but my dojo is constantly looking for food or going crazy if he smells anything in the tank. He's currently four inches long and I'm worried that I'm not feeding him enough. Should I give him a whole algae wafer at feeding time instead of 1/2? (they're about 1/4" wide and very flat. I break them into pieces to feed him) Like I said, I'm trying to keep my feeding down so my ammonia doesn't spike like crazy, but I don't want my fish to go hungry either.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well I would just do daily water changes to keep the ammonia in check while it cycles, i did this while my fish were in the QT... but there are plenty of things to help you with cycles... but i can only think of one at the moment, hopefully some one else can help with other-- Tetra Safe Start(TSS) cycling, there are also products that nuetralize ammonia for like 24 hours, to give you enough time in between water changes and such.
as for feeding as long as your ammonia is in check give them like one or two whole flake per fishy-including the loach get it wet so it sinks.. he will appreciate flake aswell as wafer.. if he doesn't have a chance to eat it theres always the wafer aswell.
hope my slightly jumbled up info helps in some way lol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dojos always look for food...even after they've just been fed. As long as they get a little something each day it will be fine.
I know you didn't ask but just wanted to let you know Dojos get very large very fast. They also like to be with others of their own kind. In just a few weeks the 10g is going to be too small for the loach. They are very active fish and need lots of room. Here is a reliable profile on dojo loaches http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach-misgurnis-anguillicaudatus
I have four in a 30g long and they will be going to a larger tank very soon.
Let us know if we can help.
carol

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Steed. I do daily water changes and keep a close eye on my ammonia. I'm just paranoid, lol.

Butterfly. Thanks for letting me know that he's just a pig like my danios. haha. And I am upgrading asap to a 55 or larger (1 month, tops) and getting him a friend or two so he isn't lonely. He was an impulse buy, and I know I shouldn't have him in such a small tank, but I love him too much to let him go. So I just have to save up a little more money before I can get him his permanent home. The 10 will then become a QT.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good on the tank upgrade. Loaches are really easy to get hooked on and Dojos are one of the sweetest non-aggressive fish I've ever owned.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom