Feeding Amano Shrimp

toomanyfishes

20190813_093430.jpg Hello there! I recently acquired 4 amano shrimp for 16 bucks! I had food on hand(Some tetra ProCory wafers that the cories don't touch, and hikarI sinking wafers.). They too didn't bother with tbe Tetra wafers, and ate the hikarI ones ( I think, there are no signs of it, I'm not always able to watch them feed). I don't feel comfortable with the hikarI foods as they contain copper. Could I just drop a slice of zucchinI in every day? Every other day? The thing is, I would feed half a slice for the shrimp now in their QT, but when they head to the main tank, the livebearers and cories too will snack on it as well. I want enough for the amanos.

Any ideas on what to do?

Feohw

The food is fine with shrimp. In fact shrimp need some amount of copper as they use it to transport oxygen in their hemolymph (blood). Copper is dangerous in excessive amounts (ie copper in meds) but in foods there are trace amounts of copper which are safe. Veggies contain copper too. I absolutely love the HikarI wafers as all my fish go nuts for it, more so than most other foods.

I feed my shrimp a number of different foods over a week, including hikarI wafers, veggies, algae wafers, bloodworms, shrimp pellets and others. They eat it all and they are fine with everything, even the copper foods (most of them have copper really). Try to feed bloodworms occasionally as well as veggies like kale, spinach and zucchinI and so on. I don't like to stick with just one food as I like diversity to ensure they get everything they need ie calcium, protein etc.

My amano get food no problem with fish. Just add some for the fish, then when they congregate around them add some near the amano. If I don't see the amano eat I add some at night, which I have to do anyway as I have some nocturnal fish. I have found that amano do best in tanks that aren't busy with fish though, much more outgoing. My first amano are still doing well in their community though.

toomanyfishes

The food is fine with shrimp. In fact shrimp need some amount of copper as they use it to transport oxygen in their hemolymph (blood). Copper is dangerous in excessive amounts (ie copper in meds) but in foods there are trace amounts of copper which are safe. Veggies contain copper too. I absolutely love the HikarI wafers as all my fish go nuts for it, more so than most other foods.

I feed my shrimp a number of different foods, including hikarI wafers, veggies, algae wafers, bloodworms, shrimp pellets and others. They eat it all and they are fine with everything, even the copper foods (most of them have copper really). Try to feed bloodworms occasionally as well as veggies like kale, spinach and zucchinI and so on. I don't like to stick with just one food as I like diversity to ensure they get everything they need ie calcium, protein etc.

My amano get food no problem with fish. Just add some for the fish, then when they congregate around them add some near the amano. If I don't see the amano eat I add some at night, which I have to do anyway as I have some nocturnal fish. I have found that amano do best in tanks that aren't busy with fish though, much more outgoing. My first amano are still doing well in their community though.
Thanks for the reply. My fish flip fir the HikarI stuff too. My ram makes off with one and takes it and hords it to himself. Occasionaly, a cory will steal one from him though. Should dropping in 7 be enough? I drop 3 in for the cories and ram, and they all eat it. I presoak in so it gets softer and easier for them to eat. I planned on feeding 1 zucchinI slice on treat Saturday anyway. I can't wait to see a crazy feeding frenzy, at least someone eats vegetables in this household

Feohw

Thanks for the reply. My fish flip fir the HikarI stuff too. My ram makes off with one and takes it and hords it to himself. Occasionaly, a cory will steal one from him though. Should dropping in 7 be enough? I drop 3 in for the cories and ram, and they all eat it. I presoak in so it gets softer and easier for them to eat. I planned on feeding 1 zucchinI slice on treat Saturday anyway. I can't wait to see a crazy feeding frenzy, at least someone eats vegetables in this household
How much you drop would depend on the stocking. If 7 will feed the fish/shrimp then that's fine to add. I usually add 3-4 hikarI wafers and then two separate halves of an algae wafer into my tank when I feed them. My rams tend to hog the hikarI food but everything goes for it. At night I have to add some for my banjo cat and so I have to add extra, usually around 5 as my pleco and gobies will devour some before she gets to them. My amano will go for anything they can get, usually after the bigger fish have had their go.

When I feed zucchinI I chop it into four or five separate bits. Most of my fish go for it. My rams, pleco, banjo, gobies, shrimp, gourami etc. Adding it in one piece can cause a bit of a scuffle in my tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
  • Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
  • Question
Replies
Views
surajk