feeding algae waffles caused this???!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good morning everyone! I may have made a terrible mistake!
I have a betta at work sharing a tank with 2 snails and an ADF. I do feed little pieces of algae waffles to the snails and the ADF and my betta likes it so much that the he flares at the ADF so he could have some of the waffle. Because of that, last night I had the "great idea" of adding a tiny little piece of algae waffle to the bettas at home!!! AFTER I had already fed them their food!!! A few minutes later, I went to check if they have eaten their "treat" and BOTH of the bettas looked ALMOST like the picture of the poor betta feaured in the post "what are people doing to their fish!"...That post is not too old, I just looked at it...My guys don't look that bad at all...maybe 1/2 the size of that 'bulge', but still, I am very concern! I was very afraid to go see them this morning and although the swallen has decrease, they still have it :-\ I am so mad at myself!! The one that looks worst is my little guy Iris...This morning he was staying pretty much at the bottom or resting on the plants. The other one, Blackmoon, was swimming a little more. I think that was the shock of too much food at once, since I usually underfeed them than overfeed them. What they ate last night was the Hikari pellets and a tiny piece of the Hikari algae waffle. Water levels are within range. I am thinking in fasting them today, and tomorrow morning feed them the pea. Or should I give them the pea tonight and fast them today and tomorrow? Thank you for your time reading this rather long post!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe it would be best to fast today and possibly tomorrow, with the exception of the pea. I think I read somewhere that people blanch their peas first?

I'm sure you'll get someone on with more betta knowledge than me. I haven't had bettas for a few years now. But, no matter the fish species, I think we've all overfed at one time or another. :console:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sure they'll be ok. Some of my fish look like they have dropsy after they pig out because they got to the shrimp pellets algae wafers before the corys.

Have you fed them peas before? I take mine right out of the freezer and roll them between my hands to thaw them and get the shells off. I don't cook them. If they'll eat them raw then I'm certainly not going to take the time to cook them.

-Lisa

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No I do the same as Kunsthure. Fast them today, feed 3 or 4 small pieces of pea tomorrow (about the same size as betta pellets), then fast for another day or 2 until the belly has reduced!

Bettas are prone to constipation and the pea will help to get things moving (so to speak!) again and return them to their slimline glory!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe it would be best to fast today and possibly tomorrow, with the exception of the pea. I think I read somewhere that people blanch their peas first?

I'm sure you'll get someone on with more betta knowledge than me. I haven't had bettas for a few years now. But, no matter the fish species, I think we've all overfed at one time or another. :console:
+2 ...whether you blanch or just cut a piece off, make sure you remember a fish's tummie is as big as one of their eyes...see if you can get him a pea to help things along tonite, and then fast for 2-3 days before trying the pea again....bettas will eat ANYTHING thats put in the tank and they also can get sick the fastest from over eating....I hope he passes everything fast like! good luck!

OP
M

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for your prompt reasponses!!! I am so thankful to this forum!
I have done the pea before when Donnie (another of my bettas) presented a case of SBD, he was fine in 3-4 days. I really thought that I was over this overfeeding phase!!!OMG!! I feel so bad..You guys, I know better!!! OK, so i will do the pea tonight and then fast them for a couple of days...My poor kids! The other 2 that I have on a divided tank didn't pay much attention to the waffle (Thank God)...they don't stay at the bottom too long and the piece of waffle went down rather quick once I pushed it with my finger (it was too small to sank right away)...but the other 2 (each on its own tank)were the ones that ate it and now they have "the belly" to show for!!! Anyway, again x for yours advice.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my betta "gwen", who turned out to be male lol, looks swollen after frozen bloodworms. he's really into those. jumping out of the water. i think once i gave too many, so i fasted him the next day and he was fine. yours will be fine.

but now that makes me wonder about my wafers and the two other bettas who have snails as roomies. i dropped in half a wafer on each side.....the bettas didn't seem too interesed. let's just hope the snails ate them .

OP
M

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You know jers, Carlitos (the betta at work with the 2 snails and the ADF) eats algae waffers every time I drop a little piece for the snails!!! Is a matter of fact, Monday, when I dropped a little piece, he was bullying the poor ADF and flearing because he wanted to have a piece of the waffle!!! Carlitos has never have any problems digesting it...but, "no betta is the same", right? and the reason why I think was the algae waffle is because the 2 bettas at home look now the same and the ONLY thing different was the waffle!!! Well, I learned my lesson now...I just don't want to hurt my finned babies!!!!

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a similar experience with algae wafers... only it was with my goldfish and snail. I doubt the snail got any of his intended snack but the goldies all looked like a pregnant platy the next morning! Their stomachs were all box-y and looked really uncomfortable!

No more algae wafers for them!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea, these Bettas will over eat!!! When doing frozen worms mine won't stop eating, so I only allow 2 or 3 at a feeding and not everyday!!! Your guys will be fine soon, but given the chance they will do it again!!!

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Piggie bettas. Algae wafers also tend to expand a little. If they gobbled it before it expanded it probably did so in their belly making them double bloated.

My betta once ate a whole tablet of frozen bloodworms to himself. I usually do 1 tablet for the whole community tank of what, 20fish? and he ate it all by himself!!! Glutton :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom