Feeding Algae To Otocinclus

Markinglis

Reaction score
Hey I want to get a small shoal of Otos for my tank. However there isn’t much algae in my tank, and I know otos require a larger amount. I know you can supplement them with algae wafers and I read the stuff like zucchinI and other similar vegetables are also good. But will this be enough for them if there isn’t much algae.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I don't have enough algae I just place some smooth, round stones in a jar of water beside a window. The algae will grow on them. I place one in the tank and when the algae is gone I put it back in the jar and add another one to the tank. Bacter ae promotes the growth of biofilm in the tank that they will eat and I've heard good things about repashy soilent green. These foods should be fine especially as some otos never take to algae wafers or veggies. How many otos were you planning and what size is the tank?

OP
Markinglis

Markinglis

Reaction score
I have a 18 gallon tank and was planning on 5 otos

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Markinglis said:
Hey I want to get a small shoal of Otos for my tank. However there isn’t much algae in my tank, and I know otos require a larger amount. I know you can supplement them with algae wafers and I read the stuff like zucchinI and other similar vegetables are also good. But will this be enough for them if there isn’t much algae.
You can try Algae wafers and veggies. You can also feed dried seaweed.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...dried seaweed. Nori, the seaweed used for sushi, comes in handy sheets, basically dried algae.

But you can’t beat wet stones in the sun. A constant supply would be great. Stones ‘grown’ in an established tank would be even better as they would presumably have more of the other life in the algae (aufwuchs).

New Threads