Feeding African Dwarf Frogs

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Bk649, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Bk649

Bk649New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    We have a 5 gallon tank with 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 3 Cherry Shrimp, 5 Nerite Snails (including a baby snail that was born in our tank) with a gravel bottom.

I generally feed the African Dwarf Frogs sinking small pellets for aquatic frogs. I tap the glass lightly to warn the African Dwarf Frogs that food is coming. However, the African Dwarf Frogs don’t see well and I see the food pellets drop into cracks in the gravel, where I suspect the African Dwarf Frogs can’t eat the food.

How can I do a better job of ensuring the African Dwarf Frogs eat the food intended fir them?

Thanks in advance.

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I worked at the LFS we always just dropped a bunch of food around them and then always kept cories in the tank with them to help clean up the extra food. I also had good luck with spot feeding them with frozen food.

3. OP
    OP
    Bk649

Bk649New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks e_watson09

Could you elaborate on spot feeding them with frozen food? A particular type of frozen food? What do you mean by “spot feeding”?

Thanks!

4. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bloodworms were usually a good starting point because they went nuts for them. Brine shrimp is an amazing choice and there are many others. I would take a small turkey baster type tool and put thawed food in it and basically put the food directly in front of their faces

5. e_watson09

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can also even use tongs to do this as well

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You could also put a little dish in the tank and put the food on that. They will get used to finding the food in that spot and it won't sink into the gravel.

7. beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I feed mine with a toothpick. I wrap the thawed worm around it then let it float off just in front of his face. Make sure he/she doens't grab the toothpick! unfortunatley mine has gotten so horribly skinny im guessing from old age

8. OP
    OP
    Bk649

Bk649New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

9. Paper Spiders

Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +144
    I have found the easiest way to feed African dwarf frogs. Now, my tank is planted and has a sand substrate, which I believe is necessary.

Once a week, I go to my LFS and get a half ounce of live black worms, which I rise off and put in the frogs tank. The frogs go absolutely nuts for the worms, and a good number of worms bury themselves and are great food for the frogs to hunt during the week. The reason you need a sand substrate is because the worms bury half of themselves, and wave their tails up in the water, making it easy for the frogs to hunt and find them.

This system has worked out very well, and has kept my frogs in breeding condition for several months.

Become a Fishlore Member