Feeding advice: my betta is a pig >:(

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a nerite snail and a betta in a 10 gallon aquarium. There is some algae, but I don't think it is enough for the snail. I've tried putting algae wafers in - if it's during the day, the betta just demolishes it; I put one in last night but the betta still looks a little too pudgy. I feed the betta NLS pellets once daily, so he definitely shouldn't be hungry.

How do you feed your snails? How can I ensure he gets enough to eat, without over feeding my betta? Thanks!

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Haha, I don't feed them! They seem to find enough food on their own. Occasionally I'll give the 50 or so baby snails in my 75g an algae wafer, but they take forever to eat it. If you have algae, your snail will be fine. And for the record, my bettas are pigs too.

3. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

how many pellets do you feed?

4. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Nerites usually won't take prepared foods, if there isn't enough algea, you may want to look into growing some. I never see algea in my 15 gal, I have a betta and a nerite in it, the nerite has been in there about a year, so he isn't starving, he just eats the algea before I can see it.

5. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I don't feed my nerites but it usually hangs out on my driftwood which I'm sure has some stuff on it for it to eat and I've seen it only one time on my piece of zucchini that I put in there for my mystery snail.

6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I only put in enough NLS pellets that the betta will eat, so there isn't any extra that falls to the bottom. Usually I give him around 5 of the "small fish" size.

A few of the plants (fake, for now) have considerable algae on them, so hopefully that's enough. Also, I've seen him inside the filter housing (just once) and there must be some tasty goo of some sort in there.

7. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

maybe you could reduce it from 5 pellets, to 3

8. B

BettaBoysGirl New Member Member

I keep nerites with my bettas too, and some of the tanks produce algae, some too little. And my bettas are little piglets... those naughty boys. Anyhow.. I usually take an algae wafer and break it up into smaller pieces and as Im feeding him his pellets, I remove the tank top and spread them around the tank. Especially ontop of plants (Since its a little harder for him to get into them.) He still finds some pieces.. but hes not so pudgy anymore, and I know the snail gets some.. (especially since I see him about an hour later, right where I hid some of hte algae wafer.)

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

A fish stomach is roughly the size of one of their eyes. Feed accordingly.

Never feed your fish until they don't eat anymore, because they will most likely explode from excess food.

I don't feed my snails, they are scavengers.

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Bettaboysgirl: that's a good idea, especially since my betta picks up the algae wafer (I put in 1/2 at a time) and drags it all around the tank. Thanks!

Lynda: I don't think I'm in danger of over feeding that much. The time that I think the betta ate a significant portion of the wafer, I withheld his food for a few days until his stomach region returned to normal size. (I would give him some pea, but I've tried and he doesn't really eat it.)