Feeding A Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by WolfPack21, Apr 12, 2010.

1. WolfPack21Valued MemberMember

Hi Everyone, I have a common pleco in my 55 gallon tank. I was wondering how much I should feed him? He is about 6 inches long and I give him one algae wafer every other night and I also give him zucchini has well. Does this sound like enough, I also do not want to over feed him. Thanks! :;banaman

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Keep a watch on his stomach, as long as it doesn't get sunken right below his chin he is OK. If he does then a little more zucchini would be in order.
    carol

3. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I hope you're eventually considering re-homing the pleco since it could grow to about 2 feet.

4. WolfPack21Valued MemberMember

Of course I am. I have a 150 gallon+ tank plans this summer

5. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean Butterfly.....about the sunken stomach? I'm just being curious because I've never heard about this.

6. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Pleco that aren't feeding well or aren't getting enough to eat will get a sunken look to their stomach.
    carol

7. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

The sunken in stomach is basically a really skinny fish haha. Just like if you weren't eating enough you'd loose weight.

Personally I'd give him a couple more algae wafers each day or maybe get some marine seaweed mine LOVES that. As plecos get larger they eat algae off the glass less and less. They also enjoy munching on driftwood from what I hear so I'd think about adding some of that if you don't already have some.

8. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

If they don't get enough food, their stomachs become concave. And, they appear bloated when getting too much. I accidentally did this when I first started keeping them. It is a balancing act as you want them to eat the algae.

9. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice