Feeding a pea to a bloated betta

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve heard this trick from many sources, that feeding some of a pea to a bloating betta with help it pass. I’ve done it already and now I’m wondering, How likely is this to work? How much time will it take to work?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have never tried it, nor looked into it super hard. My understanding though, is that feeding peas for constipation/bloating is the method for herbivores and omnivores (such as goldfish), whereas feeding daphnia is the method for carnivores such as a betta (or omnivores too I guess). I know I used the fast 3 days/feed daphnia method and it worked relatively quickly. Don’t remember the exact time frame tho. I also did baths

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dewclaw83 said:
I have never tried it, nor looked into it super hard. My understanding though, is that feeding peas for constipation/bloating is the method for herbivores and omnivores (such as goldfish), whereas feeding daphnia is the method for carnivores such as a betta (or omnivores too I guess). I know I used the fast 3 days/feed daphnia method and it worked relatively quickly. Don’t remember the exact time frame tho. I also did baths
Makes sense, my betta did eat it tho. I do have freeze dried daphnia, so if this doesn’t work I’ll try that next. I’ve tried baths too, it just seemed to stress him out too much.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
erinw347 said:
Makes sense, my betta did eat it tho. I do have freeze dried daphnia, so if this doesn’t work I’ll try that next. I’ve tried baths too, it just seemed to stress him out too much.
Fair enough! Best of luck

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I used a green pea, I found that it pretty much worked over night on my betta. But I guess it would depend on how bad the bloated issue is.

New Threads