Feeding 2 new guppies

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wooo i have now got two guppies for the tank yesterday. They look really good and happy. I tried to feed them with tropical fish flakes but they didnt seem to touch any. Is this food ok for them & do i need to do anything to it? I have looked on other sites and they say to feed them twice a day, is this correct?

Also this might sound really silly but should i start using the light in the day?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feed mine once a day, what they can eat in a minute or two. And my light is on for about 10 hours.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Jack, welcome to FishLore
Hope you don't mind, I moved your question into another thread.
The other one was more about tank set up and cycling, this should bring it more attention.

Sometimes fish need a few days to settle into the tank. Usually feeding twice a day is ok but if they're not eating, I'd go with a few flakes once a day until they settle and start to eat.
Too much left over food will foul your water.

I turn my lights on around 8am-9am and turn them off around 8pm.

Good luck!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its pretty normal for fish not to eat first few days, so i wouldnt worry too much. i feed my fish 2-5 times a day (depending on what kind of fish im feeding. the guppies get fed 3 times)

i wouldnt worry about lighting unless they dont get any, like say from a window. my guppy tank is surrounded by windows (but its not direct light, so i dont get algea), but in over cast days, i make sure to turn the lights on for them.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
as long as your cycle is finished (I'm assuming it is, as you started your cycle in April) Your guppies should be fine. Sometimes it takes a day or 2 for them to get used to the new tank, and feel comfortable enough to go out in the open to eat their food. Flake food is fine for them.

A pinch of flake in the morning and a bit at night are more than sufficient. I usually do a day of fasting once a week to keep my fish from being fat and lazy.

You can turn your light on in the morning and off in the evening, so you can see you pretty guppies!

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks. Is their any reason why they wouldnt touch it at all? Do i need to turn of the drip filter system when feeding?

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You shouldn't need to, just place the food in the tank at a relatively calm location where it isn't tossed about in the current.

When did you last try to feed them and how long have you had them? Like I said sometimes it takes a day or 2 for them to feel comfortable in your tank with your food as opposed to the fish store's tanks and food.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jackgooner87 said:
thanks. Is their any reason why they wouldnt touch it at all? Do i need to turn of the drip filter system when feeding?
they're probly just stressed out from being moved around from the petstore's tank to your tank

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I got my guppy he was really small and wouldn't go near the big ol fat flakes. Once I started grinding them up between my fingers he was able to eat just fine. Now he eats everything, even the cory's food.

There is also guppy food, it's smaller and if they were in a guppy tank at the store they may have been using that, so you could try that if they don't start eating soon. Or try some blood words all fish love those.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, try grinding them up with your fingers, if that doesn't work, keep doing it for about another week or so. If they are still not eating, give them a treat, even shrimp pellets are good enough. If they dig right into these then at least you know it's probably yuk food. Try the flakes the next day and see if they eat them now. If that still fails, alternate between the "treat" and flakes.
If the don't eat the treat, try another. If that isn't eaten than you know there's something wrong with the water or the fish are sick. Then you have a new topic to post.

Hope all succeeds
ranga

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the tip ayelie about grinding the food up that has worked a treat.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good work.
Hope all goes well.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great hope they do well.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wait for another day and feed it once a day.. Or the bioload will be heavy

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was a bit worried when I got my first livebearers as, like your guppies, they wouldn't eat. (They were Mollies as it happens, but omnivores just the same!) I must confess that before my first tank was set up I knew hardly anything about fishkeeping!

Anyhoo, I had a Betta in the tank too, and I got some bloodworms for him. (Since you are in England you may be able to get the Tetra FreshDelica ones, they're really handy!) I put in the bloodworms after 2 or 3 days of trying flakes, and the Mollies loved them, and when I tried flake again the next day they gobbled it down!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed my fish 3 times a day but I give very small amounts. Guppies will eat as long as there is food so you can't really used that 5 minute rule. Just try not to over feed them. Remember they stomachs are only as big as their eye so just a bite a couple times a day is good.

If you don't have a turkey baster you need one. They are great a sucking up left over food on the top of the water or off the rocks.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads