Feeder fish nightmare

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Reptiguy97, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

I am looking for some advice I am not shure if this is the place to ask questions or not but I assume it is because it is called general discussion. So I put 40 feeder fish in my 100 gallon turtle tank and my two painted turtles ate about half of the but now they have been in there for several months and there now too big to be eaten and they are multiplying like mad theres propobly more than 100 goldfish in there now and my tank is getting overrun the turtles and my giant plecostomus are getting overcrowded. So what should I do? I have put a picture up to. image.jpg

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

welcome to the forum

Sounds like you may need to cull them. I don't know much about turtles, but would they eat a dead goldfish? If so, you could freeze them in portions, that way you wouldn't be wasting them. Otherwise, take them in to the LFS.

3. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Can't you just sell them off to a fish store?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Sell fish they sell for pocket change? :)

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

For future reference, feeder gold fish are not healthy for turtles. They are fatty and basically junk food.

6. oscardudeValued MemberMember

OMG. That's a lot of goldfish!!

7. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

But if you add a piece of lettece in it could it be considered "healthy"?

8. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

That actually isn't accurate. In the wild, not only do turtles eat vegetation, but they also prey on fish, bugs and larvae, none of which are junk food. It IS true, however, that as a turtle ages, more and more of it's diet should consist of vegetables and less on protein, a grown turtle's diet should be 60 to 65 percent on a verity of vegetables, but there is nothing unhealthy about feeding a turtle a goldfish. I've kept turtles since I was a child, and have studied their diets and habitats extensively. Indeed, however, goldfish should be fed as part of their variety and not their main source of nutrition.

9. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the ideas everyone I will give them a try and in about a week or so I will update this thread with the resalts.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry but you are incorrect.

I'm saying the Goldfish are bad! They are. Red eared sliders Do Not eat Goldfish in the wild. Goldfish contain thiamesse that can prevent animals like turtles from absorbing vitamin b1. They are also raised on a poor quality diet. There is very little nutrients to be gained from feeder goldfish. They are also often treated en masse with anti ICH chemicals like malachite green. Malachite green persists through the fish and is passed on to whatever eats it. Malachite green is known to affect the functions of the liver and other organs.

11. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

I doent know if it makes a difference or not but I doent have red eared sliders I have painted turtles. is this a species thing or does it involv all turtles in general?

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Pretty much everything. Goldfish are also bad for other fish to eat.

13. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Also, feeder fish from the pet store are often sick. I'm not sure if all goldfish illnesses can be passed to turtles, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

If you don't have any friends with ponds, I think your only solution would be to cull and freeze them like Jaysee suggested, so they at least wouldn't (might not) go to waste.

14. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

Wow I had no idea that feeder fish were that bad well as soon as I get rid of the loads of feeder fish that are overrunning my tank I probably never get anymore feeder fish.So are there any types of live food besides feeder fish that may be better for the turtles to eat or chase around?

Edit: I do have a friend with a pond but its a natural pond with wildlife and its illegal to put other species into the natural environment. So I will most likely cull them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  15. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Superworms are great! Earthworms too. Earthworms have lots of calcium in them. Most big chain stores will have both. If you get superworms, feed them a small slice of carrot or a small piece of lettuce. They need moisture and none is provided while they are on the shelf at the pet store. Also, open the container before you buy it, make sure they are alive and that they haven't turned in to beetles.

16. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

Thank you. Next time I am at pet smart I will look for some earthworms or super worms.

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You can get earthworms at a tackle shop, or in the fishing section of many stores.

If I'm not mistaken, you can grow a colony of worms. Or maybe it's only certain worms.

18. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

This link has some great suggestions as well for feeding your turtles :D  

19. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Yes I believe you can, it sort of looks like a compost patch

20. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

ONE goldfish every now and then is highly unlikely to cause any harm... but indeed there are other things that are much better for him, you can feed him worms, crickets, mealworms, tadpoles. Leafy greens, like collard, mustard and dandelion greens, kale, bok choy. Head (iceberg) lettuce should never be fed, as it contains very little nutrition, but dark green leaf lettuces (e.g romaine) can be fed sparingly. Other vegetables you can give him are carrots (tops are fine too), squash and green beans. In an aquarium or pond you can add aquatic plants on which turtles usually love to snack. Submerged plants like anacharis are often eaten, as are water hyacinth, water lettuce, duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), and frog-bit. :)

Here's a good informational page:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice