Feedback For Betta Fish Care Guide

jess3434

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI all, I work at a pet store that sells betta fish and I have created a basic care guide for these fish and I was hoping for some feedback on it so far. Please keep in mind that this is being made for customers who are likely going to impulse buy these fish and I am trying to keep it basic and brief lol (1 page hopefully). Is there anything major that I am missing or that is unclear? Is anything inaccurate? Most of this is from my own research or experience. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

kansas

Reaction score
Looks good, if you cold ad something about live plants being beneficial that would be good.

A lot of fish stores wouldn't let you discourage people from keeping bettas in little bowls.

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since this is made for impulse buyers and you do mention the nitrogen cycle, I would also recommend mentioning/recommending a nitrifying (spelled wrong?) bacteria product like Tetra Safestart or whatever you store may have. Also suggest a water conditioner that binds ammonia like Seachem Prime. I know you're working with limited space.

fishkeeper19524

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would add the filter to bare necessities rather than useful, because for beginner fishkeeper having a filter will highly improve their chances of suces and their fish not dying

OP
J

jess3434

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kansas said:
Looks good, if you cold ad something about live plants being beneficial that would be good.

A lot of fish stores wouldn't let you discourage people from keeping bettas in little bowls.
Awesome, I totally forgot about live plants! I've been working at this store (which is a chain store) for almost 3 years and I have always talked to my manager about the bettas. She finally agreed to let me do this in spite of corporate who would rather not :) I also have a few posters up with some of my bettas who were sick when I brought them home highlighting the difference between a betta in a heated filtered 10 gallon and one in the tiny cups at the store. These are pictures from one of the posters, his name is Kringle since I brought him home on December 24th

Attachments

OP
J

jess3434

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LanceDog said:
Since this is made for impulse buyers and you do mention the nitrogen cycle, I would also recommend mentioning/recommending a nitrifying (spelled wrong?) bacteria product like Tetra Safestart or whatever you store may have. Also suggest a water conditioner that binds ammonia like Seachem Prime. I know you're working with limited space.
Great suggestion, I will try to squeeze it in! Thank you so much :)

OP
J

jess3434

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishkeeper19524 said:
I would add the filter to bare necessities rather than useful, because for beginner fishkeeper having a filter will highly improve their chances of suces and their fish not dying
Very true, I just moved it! I consider it a necessity but I wasn't sure if others did for betta tanks.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree about moving the filter to the necessities category, and discussing live plants. Also, when you discuss them, mention filters’ oxygenating effects and how using the labyrinth organ bettas have exclusively isn’t super great for them. And you can mention some easy to care for beginner live plants if you have the space
You could also add at the bottom some resources for when the have problems (I.e. your store number, and/or mention that there are forums like this one).
When discussing that bigger is better, if you want, you could point out bettas usually have 3ftsq, 33gallon territories in the wild to impress upon them that they really do need swimming space

Also just a general note - your formatting is all over the place. Notice the difference between these two sections:
DD4E7FB9-C662-49F7-AECA-24978A25E7E5.png

The first one is italicized, the second is not, half of the First is bolded, half of it not. There’s a random - to denote a new subject in the first part, and the *italized part is kind of strange. You could make this a separate point rather than a note and discuss water changes in general. If you make the sections more uniform, it’ll make it easier/quicker to read, and more appealing to the eye. I’d also move the clip art in my screen shot down a touch so that it’s more centered in that white space

OP
J

jess3434

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
I agree about moving the filter to the necessities category, and discussing live plants. Also, when you discuss them, mention filters’ oxygenating effects and how using the labyrinth organ bettas have exclusively isn’t super great for them. And you can mention some easy to care for beginner live plants if you have the space
You could also add at the bottom some resources for when the have problems (I.e. your store number, and/or mention that there are forums like this one).
When discussing that bigger is better, if you want, you could point out bettas usually have 3ftsq, 33gallon territories in the wild to impress upon them that they really do need swimming space

Also just a general note - your formatting is all over the place. Notice the difference between these two sections:
DD4E7FB9-C662-49F7-AECA-24978A25E7E5.png

The first one is italicized, the second is not, half of the First is bolded, half of it not. There’s a random - to denote a new subject in the first part, and the *italized part is kind of strange. You could make this a separate point rather than a note and discuss water changes in general. If you make the sections more uniform, it’ll make it easier/quicker to read, and more appealing to the eye. I’d also move the clip art in my screen shot down a touch so that it’s more centered in that white space
I have never been good at formatting so thank you for pointing that out I will be sure to change it. As for the clip art, I will also move that as well I am having trouble being able to put it in a spot without it moving all of the text. Thank you for all the other suggestions as well, I really appreciate it.

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I absolutly LOVE this! When you're finished with the edits I'd love to download a copy and put pressure on a few other pet stores to keep copies at hand. Bettas seem to be the most abused when it comes to poor care, but it seems like most are just ignorant and oblivous, something easily fixed with proper information.

New Threads