Feed your fish bananas?

rbelchak1988

I was talking to the guy who owns Ocean Odysey in Saginaw Michigan and he had a nice size clown loach for sale and mine don't seem to be growing so I asked him what the trick was and all he said was to feed it some bananas, I kinda laughed since it is kind of a funny idea after that he got snippy with me about how its real information and how he runs a real store so I just left. Can anyone verify the whole bananas = potassium = bigger fish?

RogueAgent94

Hi,

I have fed my fish bananas before. I don't like to because they decompose very quickly so if you leave them in the tank too long they can foul your water. I highly doubt that it was just the bananas that were doing it. Clowns grow quickly to a certain point and then slow down. Also depending on their genetics some will grow faster/larger than others.

Although feeding fresh food does boost growth. So you may want to try that.

Killaworm

As long as the fish eat it go head on my fish love cucumbers so how knows

rbelchak1988

My loach hasn't grown a 1/4" in the month or 2 ive had it, but all my other fish seem to grow faster ( its at least noticeable). I need to get some pictures of my tank up soon.

Steadfast

HI dear,
You share a good information. Is it better to feed the banana to the fish?
How many time is it better to feed the banana in week.
Any Comment?

Jaysee

Hi,

I have fed my fish bananas before. I don't like to because they decompose very quickly so if you leave them in the tank too long they can foul your water. I highly doubt that it was just the bananas that were doing it. Clowns grow quickly to a certain point and then slow down. Also depending on their genetics some will grow faster/larger than others.

Although feeding fresh food does boost growth. So you may want to try that.

That's contrary to everything I've ever read and heard. They are very slow growers.

RogueAgent94

It may be contrary to what you read but that's my experience with them. I kept clowns for years and when they were young they grew quickly and then slowed down in growth.

Jaysee

It may be contrary to what you read but that's my experience with them. I kept clowns for years and when they were young they grew quickly and then slowed down in growth.

And what I've been told by people who keep them.

RogueAgent94

Might I ask why your trying to find fault in what I'm saying? I have been very plain that what I wrote above is from my experiences. Not everyone has the same experiences. It may have to do with water chemistry or stock. Genetics have a huge affect on growth rate.

I'm not trying to be rude, far from it. I'm just curious.

Jaysee

Might I ask why your trying to find fault in what I'm saying? I have been very plain that what I wrote above is from my experiences. Not everyone has the same experiences. It may have to do with water chemistry or stock. Genetics have a huge affect on growth rate.

I'm not trying to be rude, far from it. I'm just curious.

I was clarifying because a lot of people read and repeat, or worse just make things up, and I wanted to be clear that I was drawing on the experiences of others who keep them, not just what I had read.

RogueAgent94

I was clarifying because a lot of people read and repeat, or worse just make things up, and I wanted to be clear that I was drawing on the experiences of others who keep them, not just what I had read.

Aha. Okay. I don't see why someone would make something up about fish, but now that you bring it up I suppose it is very possible.

HI dear,
You share a good information. Is it better to feed the banana to the fish?
How many time is it better to feed the banana in week.

Hi,

Bananas can be beneficial to fish as fresh food but because they decompose faster than other fresh foods that I feed I prefer not to use them. I usually feed my fish fresh foods once or twice a week. Some fresh foods that I use are cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, and watermelon rinds.

Jaysee

Aha. Okay. I don't see why someone would make something up about fish, but now that you bring it up I suppose it is very possible.

I think it's something people inadvertently do when they are trying to demonstrate that they have more experience and knowledge than they actually do.

psalm18.2

From what I've read, Rouge knows his fish.

Dang

Do you cook those vegetables or just put a litle piece raw in the tank?

RogueAgent94

I put them in raw unless they are too hard for the fish to eat. Cooking or blanching makes the veggie softer which is easier for the fish to eat but it also makes it decompose faster. I always wash the veggies very well with warm, dechlorinated water.

Dang

Cool ive never fed my fish veggies but I really want to start.

whtmex

I do bananas in my platy tank. They love it, but it makes a pretty good mess since it's so soft and pulpy. I only do it if I know I'm going to be changing water & vacuuming in the next day or two.

catsma_97504

Clown loaches grow at a faster rate in their first year, but then slow in growth. Once they reach the 4-6 inch range they begin to grow more in girth. This has been my experience and is published on loaches.com.

To the OP - Is this your 55G? How many loaches? Exactly what is stocked in the tank? The way you talk about the loach it makes me think you have a single specimen. These fish are very social and should be kept in schools to thrive.

What are your current water parameters? According to your profile, your tank has measurable nitrites. Loaches are very sensitive to nitrogen waste.

Good luck.

octo90

How often do you feed?
I have a zebra loach and it didnt seem to grow in the first 2 months but I increased my feeding and its near enough full size

Ladayen

To the OP - Is this your 55G? How many loaches? Exactly what is stocked in the tank? The way you talk about the loach it makes me think you have a single specimen. These fish are very social and should be kept in schools to thrive.

Good luck.

True.. they should be kept in groups, however due to the fact they can get up to 18" and therefore need 125g+ very few people can accomadate that. They are a fish that really shouldn't be readily available.

PS. Dont forget potassium is actually a poison. Small amounts is good, too much is very very bad.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
uncclewis
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
Cholo Anderzon
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
smee82

Did You Know...

You can Buy/Sell/Trade with your fellow members! You just need 50 posts.
Buy, Sell, Trade, Free Forum

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom