Feed Very Active Bettas?

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have two bettas, one in a 5 gallon and the other in a 10 gallon and I've had them for about 5 weeks.

Both of these boys are very active, especially the younger one in the 10 gallon -- he LOVES to play in the filter current, it's like his own personal roller coaster, lol.

I see a lot of feeding recommendations and I do worry about overfeeding, but does it make sense that I can up their food intake beyond 4 -6 pellets a day, 6 days a week because they are so active? Being a little short for my weight (ha) I know that if I exercise, I can eat more without gaining weight.

These boys are rarely still for very long. How much would you feed?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would feed only 4 pellets a day

Levibeast

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta eats anything and is a scavenger lol. He will even do a double take on his own poop... I would not feed them too much, since they get bloated easily I feel like.

saket

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
3 or 4 pellets per day or 4 or 5 bloodworms a day is the best for them. don't feed to much otherwise they will get bloated.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Can anyone address my question about activity level? Is a fish's metabolism anything like any mammal's in that more activity = more energy expended = more caloric intake?

Put another way, is the 4 pellet recommendation based on a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank who sits at the bottom most of the day?

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CraniumRex said:
Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Can anyone address my question about activity level? Is a fish's metabolism anything like any mammal's in that more activity = more energy expended = more caloric intake?

Put another way, is the 4 pellet recommendation based on a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank who sits at the bottom most of the day?
I would assume yes, a more active fish would need more calories, but you also have to take into account that their stomachs are about the size of their eye and physically cannot hold that much food.

Higher temperature also increases metabolism since they are cold-blooded.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agreed. My betta eats like a 200 pound pig! He never wants to stop eating (bettas never know when its enough) his food, and practically wanted more after the feeding.

Yah, I would feed him 2 - 4 pellets everyday, which means 2 in the AM, and 2 in the PM. Which can benefit his digestion.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks very much to both of you -- I have dog like a betta (though his stomach is indeed larger than his eye, methinks) and I'm immune to the begging, soulful eyes that say, "Oh, please, please, please feed me some more!" I have to keep the food up high where he can't reach it or he'd eat himself stupid (alas, I know this from experience). My two bettas are very persuasive but I don't give in!

But I also have no experience telling body condition on a fish. Cat? Yes. Dog? Yes. Parrot? I weigh them. Betta? No clue.

From everything I'm reading, safer to underfeed than to risk overfeeding, whether that means at one meal or on average.

Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads