Feed Very Active Bettas?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CraniumRex, Apr 15, 2017.

1. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

I have two bettas, one in a 5g and the other in a 10g and I've had them for about 5 weeks.

Both of these boys are very active, especially the younger one in the 10g -- he LOVES to play in the filter current, it's like his own personal roller coaster, lol.

I see a lot of feeding recommendations and I do worry about overfeeding, but does it make sense that I can up their food intake beyond 4 -6 pellets a day, 6 days a week because they are so active? Being a little short for my weight (ha) I know that if I exercise, I can eat more without gaining weight.

These boys are rarely still for very long. How much would you feed?

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I would feed only 4 pellets a day

3. LevibeastValued MemberMember

My betta eats anything and is a scavenger lol. He will even do a double take on his own poop... I would not feed them too much, since they get bloated easily I feel like.

4. saketValued MemberMember

3 or 4 pellets per day or 4 or 5 bloodworms a day is the best for them. dont feed to much otherwise they will get bloated.

5. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Can anyone address my question about activity level? Is a fish's metabolism anything like any mammal's in that more activity = more energy expended = more caloric intake?

Put another way, is the 4 pellet recommendation based on a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank who sits at the bottom most of the day?

6. AsterWell Known MemberMember

I would assume yes, a more active fish would need more calories, but you also have to take into account that their stomachs are about the size of their eye and physically cannot hold that much food.

Higher temperature also increases metabolism since they are cold-blooded.

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Agreed. My betta eats like a 200 pound pig! He never wants to stop eating (bettas never know when its enough) his food, and practically wanted more after the feeding.

Yah, I would feed him 2 - 4 pellets everyday, which means 2 in the AM, and 2 in the PM. Which can benefit his digestion.

8. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Thanks very much to both of you -- I have dog like a betta (though his stomach is indeed larger than his eye, methinks) and I'm immune to the begging, soulful eyes that say, "Oh, please, please, please feed me some more!" I have to keep the food up high where he can't reach it or he'd eat himself stupid (alas, I know this from experience). My two bettas are very persuasive but I don't give in!

But I also have no experience telling body condition on a fish. Cat? Yes. Dog? Yes. Parrot? I weigh them. Betta? No clue.

From everything I'm reading, safer to underfeed than to risk overfeeding, whether that means at one meal or on average.

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice