How Do I Feed my Bristlenose Cucumber/Zuccini?

FishFolk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be such a latecomer, but just got my own plecos today. I help with my sons' quite often. We use well-washed (water only) zuchinni ,cucumber and lettuce rubberbanded to a rock. Cucumber goes all watery and breaks down after a day or so (depending on water and freshness of cucumber). They make a huge mess with slimy pieces and seeds floating everywhere. Lettuce is fine but they don't seem to eat as much of it as quickly. Zuchinni is my choice. It usually lasts until they eat it all. Ours eat it to the point there's only a thin membrane left where the skin used to be. In one of the tanks, the snails consume it so heavily that I wonder if the pleco gets much of it. I try to keep a piece of one or the other in all the tanks that have plecos.

NOTE: Make sure your hands and arm are free of soap, perfume, lotion, etc before you put your hand in to get the rock or put it back. If your tank is so deep that water reaches near your armpit, watch out for deodorant too. If all else fails, use a long handle net to retrieve and replace your rock.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree that zucchini does well in the tank BUT make sure to check your filter often, as it can get clogged with slime from this and other veggies even if the veggies look okay.

I didn't think of this until one night I saw no fish in my tank. On closer inspection, they were all hiding near the bottom. I panicked, searched all over for something that might have fallen in, then finally looked in the filter. The intake tube, filter floss and the impeller were completely blocked with slime and the filter was down to a tiny trickle of rather vile water.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree that zucchini does well in the tank BUT make sure to check your filter often, as it can get clogged with slime from this and other veggies even if the veggies look okay.

I didn't think of this until one night I saw no fish in my tank. On closer inspection, they were all hiding near the bottom. I panicked, searched all over for something that might have fallen in, then finally looked in the filter. The intake tube, filter floss and the impeller were completely blocked with slime and the filter was down to a tiny trickle of rather vile water.

Ah, like isn't this a scene from Finding Nemo?????

My clown love zuchinni also, but he is silly, (cuz everyone in this house of mine is silly)..I usually do two different clips, and he eats all of the rind off one, then moves to the other, and he eats the flesh last. Any my Snails go crazy for vegies, as do my mollies; gouramis, krib;otos .......wait, that is all the fish in my tank.........lol

Val

Fish Addict

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I just put a piece of cucumber in, and I'll check 1 or 2 days later and al that is left is the wax coating of the cuc...

FishFolk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly, Thanks for the thread! It was great. Love the idea about sliding the zucchinni/cucumber down the side of the tank. I will have to try that tomorrow. I tried lettuce today in addition to their regular zuchinni - They do not seem the least bit interested in the lettuce (romaine)...fine with me Maybe peas after a trip to the grocery.

I didn't spot that anyone answered the tomato question - I was reading quickly and may have missed it. My thought is that if acidic is to be avoided, it seems that tomatoes should be avoided. I don't think I'd do those anyway because of the potential mess. They are bad enough on dry land.

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
The peice of cantelope i put in floated to the top and i thought the BN would not find it. But today i seen him hooked on to it lol. He's a little guy still so his whole body fit on it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try a lice and see Never can tell.
A word to the wise. I left a piece of water melon in the tank over night and the water was cloudy the next morning so now I don't leave it over a couple of hours.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I put a small piece of watermelon in at the same time as a slice of cucumber. Our plecos ignored the watermelon.

FishFolk

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried the peas. The plecos nibbled and the guppies absolutely devoured them. Tonight I had a few strawberries I didn't need. I put a piece in each of my tanks. Cichlids are ignoring it. The guppies and plecos in one tank are curious, sampling. The albino pleocos in the other tank are eating the berry... I think I will take them out late tonight so they don't get too mushy.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cucumber zuccini and lettuce i heard its good to cut them up thin and boil them.
Boiling them would reduce them to mush and remove all the nutrients we want our fish to get.

Veggies should be served raw.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom