Feed more if fishes eat everything?

TomTheFishNoob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If my fishes eat all the food within 3 mins should I feed more everyday till I know the exact amount when they stop eating?

Silister Trench

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nope.

Generally speaking, no. Fish aren't as hungry as they seem. Usually I feed mine what they can scarf done in a matter of seconds. Just because they'll eat it, doesn't mean they need to. They're opportunistic eaters and are going to eat everything they can in sight, but for your tanks sake shouldn't.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree. Stick to a regular feeding schedule and be more cautious on overfeeding than underfeeding.

I feed my community tank every other day and that seems to work well. I happen to think that fasting them for a few days is not bad either. They will always find something in the tank to eat from biofilm to algae......

annaberg1067

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I agree too. They will just keep eating everything until they make themselves sick. Also, every time you put in a pinch of food, a certain amount of food is not seen by the fish and will sink to the bottom of the tank. As the food accumulates, it will begin to dirty your water and could end up killing your fish. I also agree with Junne about fasting. Not only will they find something to eat, but they will learn how to survive without food for a few days, so if you have to be away from home for a few days, they can survive on there own, you won't have to pay a pet sitter, and a pet sitter won't over feed them. So nope!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom